Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_craig

Made paint color mistake - Help me fix it!

Adam Craig
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I tried to pick a green to go with the brown trim, but its clearly not working. This is an open kitchen/living room floor plan and the kitchen granite is shades of brown and tan.

The more specific the paint suggestion the better, since there are about 100 shades of tan.

Pictures are attached but there is a one minute video below to get a good feel for the place.

Not digging the rug so rug color suggestion would also be great.

Comments (20)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    A burnt orange rug would look good. Love the clean lines of your layout and furniture style. Can you get drapery rings with clips to hang your curtains? That way you'll be able to hand one or two on the outside of the maounting hardware. It will cover the edge of the window better. I like green for your space, I just think you have the wrong shade.

Look at
    Deep Ochre 1048 Paint · More Info
    Desert Tan 2153-50 Paint · More Info
    or
    Monroe Bisque HC-26 Paint · More Info
  • barblish
    11 years ago
    I totally agree with a burnt orange rug (or some orange in it ) for the room. Green paint is a soothing color, but this one has to much yellow in it. If you want to stick with green, go to a more of sage color. I also like the dessert tan but, your sofa, counter tops, brick etc, all is in the tan-brown family, so it will blend more than stand out.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think maybe break it up a little, too, maybe a darker color (but not a total contrast accent) on the end wall of the Fire Place, and also at the bar stools, and also the wall with the painting on it...definitely venture into color, since you are not afraid of it, and good for you!

[houzz=
    Harvest Bronze 1146 Benjamin Moore · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    fennel seed 1101 Paint - Benjamin Moore fennel seed · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    pimento rug · More Info
    ]
  • cris6656
    11 years ago
    I think your rug is fine-it adds some lightness to the tans-the curtains are too short, as you can see when you draw them up-maybe if you would bring the couch back a bit and put the 2 armless chairs side-by-side and then find a taller wingback chair in a leather (sage/olive) to give some change in the heighth of the furniture-get a big basket-maybe an orange color to put the palm tree in( would give some texture) and repaint to a sage/olive green--the green is nice, but it looks as though it is too minty in color to fit with the rest of your earthen style. -it's a change from all of the brick,etc. could you mount the tv and have the media center on the wall and not cattycorner? How about a cool stainless steel ac lamp to complement the modern stools--I found one on Haute.com for 129 dollars-it rocks and its trendy right now--
  • Adam Craig
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I will make a separate post for decorating and furniture positions because I plan to change all the. I am going to mount the TV flush on the wall to the right and get rid of the corner cabinet. I was thinking couch along window to the left and 2 chairs where the couch is now with a small table between them. Also - I have a black fireplace replacing the brass. So what about where the bar stools are, that wall gets so nicked up - is dark paint the remedy for that?
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Just a thought for something different. What if you did the fireplace wall a chocolate brown and then the other walls in a very creamy color like the Monroe Bisque or Fennel Seed?
  • User
    11 years ago
    The best thing there would be a matching (kitchen cabinets) wood panel on the entire kneewall and neatly wrap around. This could be done DIY with a pre-veneered cherry panel, from a lumberyard, applied cherry molding frames, Applied cherry molding base, excellent miter skills and a good eye for matching a stain (samples, samples, samples).
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    creeser you took the words right out of my mouth...I think chocolate brown would be great in there! and my second pic was the monroe bisque!
  • cris6656
    11 years ago
    thats a great idea--also, putting trashcan somewhere else,
  • cris6656
    11 years ago
    thats a great idea--also, putting trashcan somewhere else,
  • cris6656
    11 years ago
    I think chocolate would be too dark (but I'm a darkaphobic), unless you painted the brick.
  • cryschavez
    11 years ago
    http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/decorating-with-sunny-yellow-paint-colors/index.html

What about an orange or yellow? Sorry, don't have exact color names. I love your chairs and the oranges in them should be your accent to any wall color you choose. Good luck!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Darien Family Room · More Info
    Walls would look great brown; more orange in sofa pillows, over the mantel, and paint the trim and white (like the rug).
  • PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    11 years ago
    The monroe bisque is one of my favorites and it is a little cooler than the tones you already have going on so it might be a nice compliment to the room and still keep it light and airy.
  • Adam Craig
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Painting the trim is out of the question. I wish I had white trim but the whole house is brown so I am working with it. So the fireplace wall a chocolate brown and the rest of the room/entry way monroe bisque - I think I like that.
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    mpoulsom, that's where I pulled the colors from. Your's and Aggie's creamy colors. I was too lazy to go look up anything. *L*
    Adam, glad you liked the idea!
  • grenopus
    11 years ago
    your furniture and your kitchen are warm earthy tones with orange hues, the green is a very cool green, so it's creating quite a contrast-- if you want to stay with green, try something with a grey/olive tone that's warmer like Brandon Beige or Providence Olive both Benjamin Moore or Devine Hazelnut, but a creamy warm taupe would look great as well Tony Taupe from Sherwin Williams, I think the cream rug you have now is a nice compliment to the furniture, and burnt orange might be over kill. Also richer drapes, some pillows, and artwork would warm up the look.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi---yes wrong green color. I like both of these hues for you room... Orange and brown accents... CheerS!
    [houzz=
    Karen Joy Interiors · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Logan Canyon House · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Logan Canyon House · More Info
    ]
  • snaffle
    11 years ago
    I personally would go with a tan/cho brown or beige as I like the features and furniture being the focus. I used a paint colour called Burnt Umber and its like a chocolate milk colour. Another green you might like is called Grayed. Both are Valspar and I'm sure anyone could match if you have a preferred paint brand. I love your wood floor btw!

Jenn