Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8331003

Need help to decorate long wall in living room area of condo.

User
10 years ago
Would like to bring more color/balance to living room.

Comments (45)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would move the large art that is above the lamp, to the dining room wall. Replace the small one. The dining wall needs the larger artwork. Nothing is needed on the wall by the lamp. Use your long sofa as the central section of the long wall. Place the scuplture in the center of the long sofa. If you feel you want to add to the sculpture, only add to the right and left of it. Narrow co-ordinating art pieces or two narrow iron wall sconces. Art or sconces to carry the green of the kitchen in this room. The three pieces should not extend beyond the width of the sofa.
    User thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Another option is to switch places moving the large art piece above the sofa and add two more art pieces. In the dining room, add some art to the sculpture on each side to balance that long wall. or .. how about a narrow buffet or narrow glass top console table in the dining on the wall and just the sculpture or large art above it?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    To add some color, add something green in the long dish on your coffee table. Maybe add a couple of red books on the table too.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There really isn't much space behind the table in the dining room. Attached a pic of another piece of metal art with some greenish tones.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, would a rectangular table parallel to longer counter in kitchen (as a sort of island) clutter that space?
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    Debbie, that large piece of metal art might be the perfect scale for above your sofa, especially if you can hang it horitonally instead of its current vertical position. Then you could move the piece currently above your sofa to the wall in the kitchen replacing the smaller picture.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I see that there isn't much room. Great idea debbie for an island type table. Maybe something like this.
    Wine cabinet · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like that sculpture too but doesn't really show much color in it. I guess you can move things around a bit, looks like you have several pieces to work with.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am open to purchasing new art for living and dining areas as well as window panels and cushions but live in a remote area where choice is 'extremely' limited. Also, I need help with cushion color/ size/arrangement. Not happy with brown sofa but am stuck with it and I am not a fan of sofa covers. Online shopping may be possible but I live in Canada and it can be quite expensive to purchase from US. Open to any/all suggestions. Pics would be helpful.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would a green accent wall be too much for the living room?
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    Here are some suggestions that will help you work through your redesign process. You can re-use the pillows you have now keeping two on the loveseat and 2 or 3 on the sofa. The one pillow currently on your loveseat has some green in it and could be the 3rd pillow for the sofa. Look for a table cloth or pillow cases that have the green accent color in them. You can use that material to re-cover the pillows. The brown furniture grouping is okay, so don't worry about that. Put a leafy plant on the coffee table in that white tray or if you can find green moss balls that would work. Try moving the artwork with the suggestions that were previously mentioned. I saw these drapery panels on Wayfair.com
    http://www.wayfair.com/DR-International-Beyonce-Curtain-BYG-DQT1658.html
    Hope this helps!
    User thanked Re-Style Interiors
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think you will be fine without painting more of the green in the lving room.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Yes agree with 'Re-Style' about sofas, pillows and no more green paint.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I see a few pops of that orangey red. Can you pull that through the space?
    User thanked decoenthusiaste
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Moved large piece of art into dining area; so pleased with result. Thank you. I'm attaching pics but they do not do justice to the overall effect (poor lighting).
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can't believe I never thought to try this before...
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    So glad you did that. It was my first thought on seeing your space, but someone else had already suggested it. Now that the blue and purple are in the kitchen, use them as your accents there instead of the red/orange.
    User thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You're welcome debbie. Thanks for the updated art change. Works great.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Stripped room of everything red. Using cushions that I already have but intend to purchase new ones. Could really use suggestions (pics if possible) for new art work and coffee/end tables (color/design).
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    decoenthusiate: Do you have any suggestions for blue/purple in kitchen?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    @ 'deco' blue and purple are great. Maybe add some of her orange in a few accents for something warm?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Re-Style Interiors I am unable to find the window panels you suggested in the length that I want. Like them to puddle on floor. I have teal panels that I could take from another room. Could I incorporate teal with the green of kitchen/dining areas through panels, cushions, accents?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Re-Style Interiors
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    Hi Debbie. The teal accents look alright in your photo, just can't see the green from the kitchen and not sure if it ties in or not. Also, did you try that large metal art piece you have in another room above your sofa? It's the one that I suggested hanging horizontally instead of vertically. I was hoping it was a larger scaled piece which would work better for that long wall. Lastly, try moving that plant you have sitting on the floor by the drapery panel to your coffee table. It can sit off center with a plate or charger under it. Hope that helps
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure if the teal drapes work. I think a blue might have to brighter and stronger.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tried the larger metal art...wasn't able to hang horizontally but it gave me ideas about scale. Will look for new art and cushions/accent pieces when I go out of town shopping tomorrow and on vacation next month. Wondering if I should be looking for several pieces to hang vertically or large piece to hang horizontally with maybe sconces. I am really tired of red and wondering what color to put with the green for warmth (thinking purple). Also, only have light from living room and kitchen windows so pics are not showing true colors. Been searching Houzz and getting lots of ideas. To add warmth, can I replace red with purple accents?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What are your thoughts about pulling sofa away from wall and putting narrow sofa table behind it with art and accents?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thinking about this for color scheme. Thinking I might need art on this scale.
    The panels are closer to this color. Would appreciate your input.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    As per your suggestions ... Put up another piece of metal art just to give you an idea of scale (realize it isn't centered but didn't want to put more holes in wall). Open concept kitchen/dining/living. Apologies for poor lighting....
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, planning to purchase new coffee/end tables. Any suggestions?
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    The color scheme you found definitely works. Green being the dominate color then the teal with a little purple for accents. You definitely want the larger scale artwork behind your sofa, Like the photo you posted with the one horizontal piece. You can make the room feel a bit more open by simply pulling the sofa away from the wall 6" to 8". Not enough space for a console table but saves on the floor space for your furniture. Suggestions for coffee/end tables. Have you considered glass? Glass with an iron style base that repeats the design of your dining set. Glass works well in small spaces since it opesn up the visual field.
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    good luck with your shopping :)
  • madison1102
    10 years ago
    Incorporate the color of the wall throughout the kitchen or paint the walls a different color
    User thanked madison1102
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Need larger art for the sofa. Agree with 'Re-Style' about glass coffee and end tables.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Not sure about your colors, They may be clash, depending on what elements those colors will be used.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've not decided definitely on colors. I like a monochromatic and uncluttered look. LOVE the room in this picture which is why, I guess, I asked about painting the long wall green - even though I don't have a white sofa. Is there something similar that you could suggest that would work with my brown sofa? I also love the art in this pic.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    madison1102 Do you have suggestions for wall colours? which walls? Just recently painted dining/kitchen area and love the color.
    It is very close to the colour of the wall in this phtoto.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    The green in the kitchen is strong in saturation and bright. I would not paint green in the living room. I would only accent the living room in the green in smaller doses in accessories. Groups of different green glass vases for a display. Too many different colors is not monochromatic and uncluttered. Brown sofa and neutral walls. Small amounts of softer or small amounts of bolder colors. Printed pillows that have brown, beige, a touch of the green, touch of blue, touch of purple may work for you. Small spaces do well without too much going on, including too many colors on the larger elements. Drapes can be subtle color. Use strong other colors in less proportions.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Re-Style Interiors: I have been thinking about glass with iron base for coffee/end tables. Do you have any suggestions for shape?
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    We are going back to original comments regarding your wall color. Like both LB Interiors and I suggested, it's best to leave the living room walls neutral. You have the color balance in the kitchen. The teal drapery panels you had up are fine (assuming they are the correct tone to go with the paint color). All of our monitors see color differently so it is hard for us to tell you if it goes or not. If you stay with the color guidelines I mentioned before, dominate color: green, secondary color: teal, accent color: purple you will be fine. The large piece of artwork over the sofa will bring in all the colors and anchor that space. An oval coffee table shape would work well in your space. And round for the end tables.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Re-Style Interiors: Should coffee table height be lower than sofa seating?
  • PRO
    Re-Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    The average coffee table is around 17" high. Yes, it can be slightly lower than sofa seating but not drastic.
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago

Hey there. I think its a great idea to add larger scale art pieces that make a bold statement. Finally, bring of the bold green into the space. I think professionally including pops of continual colors will unify this space.

I have a few blog posts that may help you out.

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago

Very Very OLD POST.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!