Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_sutton5

New countertop and backsplash for older kitchen

Sarah Sutton
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

First time home buyer here!

We would like to make some updates to our kitchen but naively thought our budget would cover more than it actually can. Originally we had wanted to reface the cabinets, add backsplash, new counter and appliances. Refacing quotes have been a lot higher than we thought they would be, so we will probably just keep the cabinets and change the hardware. We would still love to add a backsplash and purchase a new counter and appliances. Im not sure where to go with countertops. It looks like some of my choices I had picked when we were going to reface to white might still work. still in the running are:

Cambria Berwyn

Cambria Bellingham

LG Aria

Frankly, I don’t even know what to call this cabinet color. Maybe a natural maple? The first pic is a more current pic of what the previous owners had. Bottom pic is better image of cabinets themselves. What would you pair with cabinets like these?

Comments (10)

• Sarah Sutton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for replying. pretty sure it’s a Corian Countertop, it has a plastic look to it. Would you keep that also? Definitely going to get stainless appliances and a subway tile backsplash.

• yvonnecmartin
    4 years ago

The cabinets might be maple and look in good shape. I would recommend a dark countertop to cut the beige feeling of the space.

Sarah Sutton thanked yvonnecmartin
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

did you get a quote on painting? prob would be in the 4-5K range for everything (they remove doors/drawers and should take it back to their shop for spraying). with what you want, painting them white or a soft gray will look way better.

you also need to replace your bulbs to something less yellow. look for bulbs in the 4000K range.

and hopefully you're eliminating that ceiling fan?

I'm painting mine next month. he offered to replace all of my doors/drawers with shaker style for 2500 (which is a good price), but mine are shaker w/a little extra routing around the edging so I'm keeping them.

Cambria is the most expensive quartz, so keep that in mind.

Do NOT get the 4" piece up the back.

If you're really on a budget, look into pre fabricated quartz or granite. way cheaper and you have the ideal layout for pre-fabs. they come in 8 or 9' lengths, and islands in 6x4. average price is 400-500 per 9' countertop. (a fabricator is extra to fit it and cut the holes for you sink and such)

pre fab quartz^

and quartzite:

Taj Majal Quartzite slab

both of these are Berwyn.

Aria

Bellingham

Sarah Sutton thanked Beth H. :
  • Monica Rainbird
    4 years ago

Stay away from LG...they offer horrible after sale customer service and do not stand behind their products

Sarah Sutton thanked Monica Rainbird
  • Sarah Sutton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@beth the fan most certainly must go! One quote for painting was 6k. We figure we will get a few more quotes once we move in at the end of the month to compare.

Good call on the bulbs! Didn’t even think of that. It’s way to yellow and dark in there!

the two quotes we got for new doors and drawers were 14k and 18k. Everything we read about it made it seem so much cheape. So we were surprised when we got the estimates. We were hoping to do the entire kitchen for that much.

• PRO
    Cambria
    4 years ago

Hello Sarah Sutton, for inspiration we recommend taking a look at this space featuring Berwyn with a wood island and this space featuring Bellingham paired with lighter cream tones. We also suggest considering lighter countertops such as Ella and Torquay, both can be found on our blog paired with light wood cabinets in stunning spaces. Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    4 years ago

Have you gotten more than one quote on refacing the cabinets? Perhaps get a few others if you've only gotten one. We recommend all SS appliances, and replacing the fan. Here are a few kitchen designs of ours to inspire you in your renovation of your kitchen:

Ranch Triangle Chicago Renovation: Kitchen and Breakfast Bar · More Info

Chicago Condo On Kingsbury St. · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen Remodel · More Info

White Kitchen · More Info

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If the cabinets are good quality, I would get new appliances and a solid white quartz countertop and white subway backsplash. If the cabinets aren't in good shape, just get the appliances and live with the rest of your kitchen until you decide to remodel everything.

• PRO
    50 Lakes Cabinet Design
    4 years ago

I would definitely get a few quotes for refacing. We do B2B cabinet design for a company in the Tampa area that refaces cabinets at a very reasonable cost. If you are in that area, let me know and I will share his information with you.