Your shopping cart is empty.
ltlwillie1280

Not sure if my planer is junk or the blades are just dull....

Matt
February 11, 2019

So I have an older 13" craftsman planer that was my dads and i've inherited it. It's been sitting since i got it a few years ago. Well, i finally have a urgent need for it so i drug it out and tried to put it to work this weekend. I'm trying to plane down some primered pine that i bought from Menards. It's currently 3/4" thick and i need to get it down to around 9/16"-1/2".

I kept tripping the overload sensor and/or the breakers to my outlet trying to plane this stuff down. I started out trying to take 1/8" and it was reallyyyyy struggling and usually stalled and/or blew one of the breakers. I then went down to 1/16" cuts and it seems to really struggle there as well. I would think this pine should cut like butta'.

The warning label says to not take more than 3/32", which everything i tried was less than that. So is it just a poor quality planer or do i need new blades?

Here are the specs:

13"

24FPM

8000 RPM

2.5HP

120 volt

15 amp

Model No 351.217430

Code No 200207

I have not issues buying a new set of blades, but cannot seem to locate them. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would prefer Amazon so i can get them here quickly!!

Comments (7)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).