Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes Feb. 1, 2019

User
5 years ago

Langston Hughes Quotes

American - Poet February 1, 1902 - May 22, 1967

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/langston_hughes

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.

Langston Hughes

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air and you.

Langston Hughes

Jazz, to me, is one of the inherent expressions of Negro life in America: the eternal tom-tom beating in the Negro soul - the tom-tom of revolt against weariness in a white world, a world of subway trains, and work, work, work; the tom-tom of joy and laughter, and pain swallowed in a smile.

Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up Like a raisin in the sun? Or does it explode?

Langston Hughes

I have discovered in life that there are ways of getting almost anywhere you want to go, if you really want to go.

Langston Hughes

I was a victim of a stereotype. There were only two of us Negro kids in the whole class, and our English teacher was always stressing the importance of rhythm in poetry. Well, everybody knows - except us - that all Negroes have rhythms, so they elected me class poet.

Langston Hughes

An artist must be free to choose what he does, certainly, but he must also never be afraid to do what he might choose.

Langston Hughes

Comments (2)