Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_stevenson19

second entrance disguise?

Angela Stevenson
4 years ago
Our 1911 home with multiple additions has way to many entrances/ exits...6 total! The front of the house has a front door and the original porch with concrete steps. The middle of the house has a second pathway with concrete steps leading up to a door that used to access a mud room but we remodeled the tiny kitchen and it now leads into the kitchen. If I had the money I would do away with this kitchen door, path and steps all together. I currently do not and the siding is a nightmare to try to match. Anyway we do use the door but I really don’t want guests to use this door I want them to use the front door but they always go straight to the kitchen. Part the the problem is the front door is flanked by a huge Camilla that’s totally obscures it on one side and an apple tree on the other. I plan to do some pruning and paint the door a cobalt blue. Any ideas to make the middle door less noticeable? It still has to be useable but it’s ugly and I want people to use the front entrance.

Comments (64)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Then let's limb up that apple tree and get rid of scraggly bush.

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

Grover you must be getting sweaty doing all that yard work !

• Angela Stevenson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Yeah that does look a lot better!! Thank you!!
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Nah, Linda, I'm sitting inside in my air conditioning. Virtual gardening is the best.

• Kendrah
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In addition to painting the trim to match the siding, I would also paint the door to match the siding too. Have it all blend in together. Yep, invite groveraxle over to do your pruning. Your trees and shrubs are currently insane. Nobody can see the door. I would also remove all of the plant pots from your side door as they subtly say "Welcome, this is the entrance." Make sure you put a nice door mat outside the door you want to be used.

• partim
    4 years ago

And while you've got a paint brush in your hand, paint the utility box and pipe that are to the right of the kitchen door.

It's OK to paint it.

• Rina
    4 years ago

Again, the Gift of Grover. What a difference.

I wanted to play with the pic but now that I can pick up pictures again with my new Windows 10 (at last, but sadly) I find that the Paint version that comes with it has me flummoxed. I so agree with removing that path to the kitchen door. And yes, matching the siding and trim is better than having the trim a darker version of the colour, as I suggested.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

following...

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Rina, you can pick up pictures now? I'm jealous.

• Rina
    4 years ago

Not really, Grover. I'm just doing what you advised me to do (screen shot and edit), which I couldn't do on the old software because anything on the clipboard was a total visual mess. So if I ever work out the new version of Paint, I might get back in the business of doing mockups.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Thanks, Rina. I feel better now knowing we're both flummoxed. ;-)

• Rina
    4 years ago

Yup.

• Angela Stevenson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    We did some trimming today. I know it’s a lot but we have about 25 trees on our property and all of them were super overgrown when we moved in. I hope to be able to paint this weekend. Yes I know it’s okay to paint the electrical box it was painted before but we had to replace when we remodeled the interior and hadn’t painted the new one yet I was actually hoping to build something to cover it entirely. My husband isn’t convinced yet about removing the second walk way.
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

What a difference! Looking good. Paint the trim on the kitchen door first and evaluate. If it's not enough, paint the door itself and evaluate again. Maybe painting will be enough and you won't need to remove the walkway.

• Rina
    4 years ago

Gosh, yes. Now you can see you have a front door.

• DH
    4 years ago

I think the walkway to the kitchen door can probably stay... handy to bring groceries in that way I’m guessing. Maybe it could be a little narrower though?

Agree that you should at least paint the white trim around the kitchen door to match the siding. That will go a long way towards deemphasizing it. Paint the front door a bright color, maybe a pretty teal or aqua color, now that you can see it, and I think that will help your visitors have a much better idea of which door to use.

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

Good job. Thanks for the update. Keep us posted !

• Gcubed
    4 years ago
    Looks great! Looking forward to seeing how it looks with painted trim.
  • partim
    4 years ago

It is really appreciated when people come back and show their progress. You have made a good start here!

• shwshw
    4 years ago
    WOW. Great job. Even better that it will hardly cost you anything.
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

Looks great! Following your progress.

• Angela Stevenson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Progress update. Painted the trim around door two and the eclectical box and painted the front door just waiting for it to dry and I will update again!
  • shwshw
    4 years ago

love the blue! looks like you can try out what you have so far and see if you get more people at front door. if not you can make more changes with paint or some larger garden containers at front door. good luck

• Gcubed
    4 years ago
    Looks amazing!! And you probably didn’t even did for too much
  • tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Your bright blue door will be great. If the second door still draws attention, paint out the rest of the door trim in the siding color.

• Angela Stevenson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Here is the finished door. I will update with a pic of the whole house again when I can get a picture. Every one parked on front of the house today and now it’s dark lol.
  • tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Very nice and you work fast, too! Consider moving the pots in the walk way on the stairs and instead doing two taller pot on the porch, out of the way.

• partim
    4 years ago

Very nice! I`ll second the suggestion to move the pots. They make the entrance look cramped. Two people should be able to walk comfortably to your door, side by side. And I'd remove the other decor items too. I think they draw too much attention away from your lovely door, which should be the focus. Next time you're painting, paint that downspout too.

It would look great if you added some brick edging to your walkway on both sides to make it a bit wider.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

The blue door is inspired. Looks great.

Partim had a good suggestion about painting the downspouts. Make them disappear.

• Rina
    4 years ago

Great, Angela. I love the way you take the ideas and run with them. And then report back. The blue is brilliant.

• DH
    4 years ago

What a difference! Inspiring!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Nice work! Just one comment. The “apple tree” needs to be removed. It is way too close to the foundation of your home and will be problematic to other things like roots in everything. Get it out while it is still small. You will need stump removal too so you can create a pretty little feature there. Maybe a birdbath with flowers so when sitting on the porch you have a pretty little view that way. It will also reinforce entry door. I would paint white trim on service door and probably the door to color of adjoining material. Just to visually hide it.
  • doods
    4 years ago

following

• Angela Stevenson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I do intend to paint that down spout. I had forgotten all about it till we pruned! Yes I have always thought it was a strange place to plant an apple tree. It’s a bit farther than in looks it’s about 4 ft off the house but still a weird location. We have another apple tree that has beautiful blooms but crab apples on the front (street side) of the house I would like to eventually remove that one and move this one to that spot. My neighbor has an excavator so I am hopeful it can be done. This tree has great apples and I would like to save it but I suppose I could just buy a new one. Our grand plan when the budget allows would be to build a covered porch that spans the two doors and reside the house as well. I think I convinced my husband we can remove the broken concrete path to the second door and put in a mow able paver path and grass. My neighbor is a stone contacter and I hope to eventually be able to have him do something nicer for the steps and walkway. I was thinking white washed brick and bluestone. I will try moving the pots I just hate the concrete lol. Unfortunately this is the least attractive side of the house and it is the front! We just did a massive remodel and have a ton of interior projects we are still working on so I am on a small budget for now!
  • partim
    4 years ago

I think your concrete is fine- it's neutral and doesn't draw attention to itself. But you can paint or stain concrete. I don't know how durable the paint or stain are, but you have a small area and it would be fairly easy to touch up if needed. And I accidentally dripped some solid deck stain on a bit of concrete and have been waiting years for it to wear off LOL.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Love the blue door. Another approach (ha!) to direct visitors to the front entrance: a sign that says "Please use front entry" with an arrow pointing that direction. A friend who ran a small business from her home had a sign like that and it worked well.

• okibujp
    4 years ago

Angela, your porch idea is wonderful! In the mean time, maybe painting the door and molding the same color as the siding and taking away the plants on the steps. It would definitely distract from the front door. Just an idea. Btw, i love the blue door. Here is a side by side.

• PRO
    Soothing Company
    4 years ago

A birdbath or water feature would give great curb appeal and something you could enjoy also!

All our products on our site ship free within the US.

https://www.soothingcompany.com/pages/outdoor

Bjorn Garden Fountain · More Info

Anfora Garden Fountain · More Info

Fleur Outdoor Fountain · More Info

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Wow!!!!! Fantastic.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

Thx for coming back with an update. What a difference! Congrats

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Nice!!! Love the blue door with the siding color.

• doods
    4 years ago

Beautiful, big difference, Congrats!

• Laura Hill
    4 years ago

Looks great! So... how is it working? Are your guests showing up at the correct door now?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

So lovely. The front door is huge plus. Bet you like coming home to that yourselves! Thanks for showing us the great progress.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Concord, NH · More Info

I love the blue door. It all looks so inviting. How about a nice picket fence making a private little garden. No gate to the door just access from the house. Since it is a door to the kitchen. Grow herbs. Small table for coffee. Trellis with vines to block the power meter from view. Flowers.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

I couldn't resist doing a mockup.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Great mockup. I don't know how to. Put only 1 gate at the entrance you want to use. Or you could can not have a gate but an arbor access. But I had thought just to fence in the kitchen entrance area blocking the kitchen door from outside traffic. The fence would stop before the walkway to the front door. Leaving the front door open as the only assessable visiter entrance.

Hidden Hills Cottage · More Info

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I like the little fence idea

• shwshw
    4 years ago

I want that last house that Cheryl posted. Gorgeous

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida