Your shopping cart is empty.
rachel_adams42

Should I paint the dining room

Rachel Adams
February 10, 2019

Should I paint the trimming? if so, what color?

Comments (3)

• cawaps

Is the lower wall wood wainscoting, or is it just painted a different color? Is there paneling, or is there just a chair rail with a different color below?

The strong horizontal line where the white meets brown is overbearing, to my eye. Unless it is really fabulous wood paneling, I would consider painting it, possibly the same color as the wall. You could leave the ceiling trim and window frames wood if you wanted; it's just the chair rail/wainscoting I'm bothered by.

• Sylvia Gordon

On my tiny screen, it looks like the original flooring & Knotty Pine wainscot.

I may be turning into my grandfather, a carpenter and furniture builder, but I hate the very thought of slapping paint on "good" wood.

I would paint the sheetrock above the wainscot; teal works very well with Knotty Pine.

Replace the sheers with off white wood or faux wood blinds, and replace the light fixture with something brighter.

Add a large bright rug, with teal or turquoise and red and brown in the print.

• Yayagal

I would paint the ceiling sections, that is between the wood, to a darker color and then the wood will look appropriate.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).