Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skiesler

Suggest external paint colors please

Sara Kiesler
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am renovating an arts & crafts/tudor revival in Maryland and hope you can suggest external colors! The house was built in 1924 and sits on a 1/2 acre lot. I'm adding to the house in the rear but much of the house will be restored-- original windows, doors, siding (and much of the inside). The metal roof cannot be saved but I'm replacing with metal shingles by Berridge. The new section in back will have James Hardie Artisan lap siding (smooth), which is a close match to the existing wood siding.

I'm attaching a photo of the front of the house as purchased and a drawing of the plans for the front. The north side porch (added a couple of decades after the house was built) will be demolished. The front porch, which is unsafe, will be replaced also. The brick chimney will be stuccoed. The original house had shutters that will be replaced (other windows are casement). The entire property will be landscaped so try to ignore that aspect.

My problem is that the colors of the house are constrained by the colors available for the siding and the roof. I've attached these colors. Even so, I've still got options. Does anyone have suggestions?

Comments (51)

• PRO
    Judith Taylor Designs
    11 years ago
    Oh, sorry, we can't see any of those options. Only the one shot of the house shows up. Please upload the other photos.
  • Diana Anderson
    11 years ago
    I would also add scallop siding over the top floor window to offset the rest of the house.
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry I used tiff files that didn't work. I've attached here.
  • ispeakwhale
    11 years ago
    Timber Bark for siding,
    cobble stone for trim,
    colonial red roof...

and with the landscaping I would redo the walkway in cobblestone.

Or, a more daring option would be:

Cobble Stone siding,
    Arctic White trim,
    Deep red roof,

add red and white striped awnings to some or all of the windows...

and redo the walkway in red brick pavers.

A dark greenish black for the door for the first color suggestion - like Nationalist Green, and a BLACK door for the daring option.

I realize the more daring option is something probably only I would do! But I think it would be so pretty with a lush green landscaped yard with tons of knockout rose bushes.

Lastly,

brown roofs are boring,
    gray roofs are austere,
    blue roofs are bad feng shui,
    and everyone I know hates green roofs.

Good luck and have fun with your remodel!! !
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    Fabulous Home. LOVE the design of it.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    I'd love to see the floor plan for this house. I've been searching for something similar out there.
  • Khara
    11 years ago
    I would put on a wrap around porch, cladding the ceiling with natural wood. As for colors; Light fog colored siding, white trim, a darker pewter colored door and a tri-colored copper roof. over time it will patina greens and will correlate with the natural land. I would slate the walkway and pop the greenery seasonal colors. Thats right, neutrals loves monochromatic.
  • Leanne Lovie
    11 years ago
    What colors do you like? Most of these colors would work fine for the house, it's just a point of matching the colors together, so if you have one your leaning towards it would be really easy to suggest the best one to go with it.
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Everyone:
    The house is on the border of a historic district and, although not an official historic property (former owners refused), we have agreed to the recommendations of the Historic Commission not to change the front. Thus, no wrap around porch. Colors should be historic. ispeakwhale's first suggestion would work (esp. with a red door).

However, I have been drawn to the "antique copper-cote" roof shingles ("metallic colors"). What would you suggest with that? I was thinking maybe:
    roof: antique copper-cote
    siding: boothbay blue (too dark? too blue?)
    trim: arctic white
    shutters: iron gray
    door: medium/light yellow or pumpkin
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    The green roof may be the historically correct choice, but after living 10 years in Idaho, blue and green roofs just say "metal" and ";prefab housing" to me, so my choices would lean toward the red or metallics. I think the pumpkin door is going to be insipid, and you won;t like it as long as you will a door that is bolder - black or chinese red.
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Floor plan of the original house was like the 2-story center hall colonial I grew up in except that there is a doctor's waiting room, office, and bath with a separate office at the side of the house. In the 1920s and 30s, the doctor saw and treated patients there. I found an index card with a patient's record showing a $2.00 charge for a child's visit.
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Antique copper-cote is a metallic. Yes it is an olive color, but grey is "austere" (see comment above) and "copper" looks fake.
  • ispeakwhale
    11 years ago
    If you like the Antique copper-cote roof, what about...

Woodlawn Cream for the siding
    Navajo Beige trim and shutters
    the color similar to Countrylane Red (above) for the front door

OR,

Blue Bay siding
    Navajo Beige for trim and shutters
    Burgundy Red roof
    a shade darker and brighter than Woodlawn Cream for the front door

Or,

Woodlawn Cream siding
    Terracotta roof
    Dark Bronze color (above) for shutters and front door
    Navajo Beige or possibly Arctic White trim

I could do this all day since it's not my decision! :D
  • stefspad
    11 years ago
    There's a book called "Stickley's Craftsman Homes" that I bought on Amazon before I painted my last house. It devotes a chapter to Arts and Crafts Colors--lots of options that will stay true to the style.
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow,ispeakwhale, thank you so much! Great ideas.

Thank you stefspad for the book idea but is the author Ray Subblebine? Or if not can you give me the author? There are many books with just about the same title.
  • weiblaboso
    11 years ago
    This house would be beautiful with Monterey Taupe siding and Matte Black roofing, paired with pure white trim and black shutters. I have unfortunately seen too many historic houses ruined because the designer wanted to 'make a bold statement'. Less is best, and in this case, the combination of sea foam, white and black would be elegant and tasteful. It's also a traditional and classic choice-- you really couldn't go wrong. :D

As a side note, I'd suggest a casual, Cape Cod style for the landscaping, with a lot of tall grass. You're right about the roses; knockouts are beautiful and low maintenance plants!

Good luck!
  • stefspad
    11 years ago
    Yes, skiesler -- it's Stubblebine. A whopper of a book, with the whole history of the Arts and Crafts movement. May be more than you need...
  • Judy Bath
    11 years ago
    I would go with white for the house and black for the trim. Would show off the beautiful architexture of the house. Shiny black door. Charcoal gray roof. Then of course lose those two shrubs and get some nice curvilinear beds cut out in the front. Roses would be nice in a mixed border but depending on your climate, evergreen shrubs for year round color. I would skip the grasses as they only look good in the summer but boxwood would be a good foundation plant.
  • putter2
    11 years ago
    'Weathered Wood' asphalt shingles (look like Shake)......white trim, .mushroom or gray siding, black shutters and door, brass door knocker, remove arch on front porch and match side porch.....maybe a tall cedar up high corner to right of front door......Winter Gem Boxwoods flanking door, allowed to grow loosely and large....softer shrubs around rest of foundation....keep brick walkway.
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Doesn't a black roof absorb heat? I thought the trend was toward lighter colors, even white.
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    ^ Yes, it does absorb more heat. But a darker roof looks better from a design aesthetic. It helps ground the house. You don't need to go too dark, just darker than you have now.

You could add a radiant barrier to the sheathing in your attic to minimize radiant heat gain from a darker roof.
  • User
    11 years ago
    i suggest a egg shell white with black roofing it will bring your garden out i also suggest bay windows
  • PRO
    Laara Copley-Smith Design
    11 years ago
    Love the house ... on the garden I would definately add boxwoods to give sudstance & roses,perenials. This house would look great with shaped , clipped planting. I could see some `quirky ` shaped boxwoods too.
    Agree on the Arts & Craft I would certainly do research on this .
    As mentioned above I would add a wrap around porch & veranda too,you have plenty of space to do this. Yet I would keep the ceiling & all timber as the overall house exterior colour for light quality & cohesion. ( whatever you paint this )
    I actually like the roof tone. I certainly think black would be a hard colour & not suit the house which is soft.
    Whatever colour tone you go for on the cladding I would make certain this was a `heritage shade` as these are all timeless colour tones.

Have fun with your great property
    Laara
  • PRO
    Tath Hossfeld Designs
    11 years ago
    Adorable home! There are lots of ways that you can go. Here are some examples that you can play off of. Enjoy!! :)

Tath Hossfeld Designs
  • ispeakwhale
    11 years ago
    Wow! I'm really drawn to the 2 house on the right. The color ways are so warm, the top warm and cozy, the bottom is warm and cheerful.
  • PRO
    Tath Hossfeld Designs
    11 years ago
    Here are a few more :)
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for these images! I am very drawn to weiblaboso's proposal of matte black roof (can you do that?), Monterey taupe siding, white trim, and black shutters. It would be like the taupe in the left top but with black roof and black shutters on the center windows.
  • ispeakwhale
    11 years ago
    You really can't go wrong with that combo. Knockout roses would look stunning against the taupe and black. :D
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Agree on roses...also love perennials that come back every year like asters. I'm going toward informal landscaping with native shrubs. Winding brick and stone paths. Also an orchard!
  • PRO
    Laara Copley-Smith Design
    11 years ago
    here is why I would stay with this tone roof : look at how the current roof of Tath`s images works with the sky , it is soft.
    The top 4 : the left top grey looks fabulous as does the bottom right
    The next 4: left top & again the bottom right.

Definately roses, asters, penstemons, salvais, alliums, foxglove .... few domed box to add defined yet traditional contrast in `form` & `shape` . Ornamental grasses in swathes such as deschampsia, panicium species .
    I am UK so not 100% sure on your native shrubs.

Orchard: you have so many options with this including you could have beehives too . support the bee population
  • PRO
    Stone & Land, LLC
    11 years ago
    I like Tall Hossfeld first four renderings, not an expert on color but I agree with Laara Copley on the landsape ideas. Maybe some of those old time Victorian era plants boxwood, hydrangea, lilacs (with low growing varieties). Put new twist on it, bust out a little from the standard foundation plants and push them out form the house on the other side of the walkways. Make a nice new entry sequence passing through and arbor from the driveway to the right side door and then continuing to front door with a clay paver walkway to match the existing brick walk and a couple of mini patios to set some chairs or a benchs on, maybe in bluestone or other contrasting material. Keep the existing brick walk, its historic. Maybe you could just reset them if you want to clean it up.

Too bad you can't do some modifications to the architecture on the facade, but I like it the way it is. Do you think they'd let you put some steps up to that great porch on the left? Connect to the walkways along the front. I like the idea of reclaiming the front lawn for some entertainment space. Pushing the plantings out to the street side of the walkways and patios creates some more intimate spaces that transition into the lawn, where you can toss a football around. It also gives you something to look at besides cars passing by. A fence along the street with a border of plantings and some well placed ornamental trees will help define that great outdoor room also. It'll be great when its done, even if you just keep it simple and remove the guard dogs at the front door.
  • PRO
    Stone & Land, LLC
    11 years ago
    Sorry, I just understood your demolishing the nice porch on the left? Too bad, will it be replaced with something similar?
  • PRO
    Stone & Land, LLC
    11 years ago
    Deer, bummer. I hate when those overgrown rabbits act like they own the place. Especially when you like hostas and daylilys, your yard is their salad bar. Astilbe might work in the shady areas too. For sunny areas I like Russian sage, Perovskia. Its not native but has a great look, seems to blend nice with any house color. They never touch it or if they have I could never tell. You have a big enough property to handle some or your local designer / nursery could suggest some native stuff that looks good and low maintenance / deer resistant.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I like coneflowers, alium, and good old spireas, grasses...bullet proof, but we have no deer
  • ourfarmhouse
    11 years ago
    So, here's what I'm thinking...

Dark Bronze-colored Berridge shingles. Iron Gray Hardie Plank lap siding. Navajo Beige trim. Black cottage-style (not louvered) shutters. Yellow door.

I've also torn down your side porch and added the stuccoed chimneys and your arts and crafts lighting from your drawing.

Going beyond that, it would be cool to see stone on the foundation. I think it adds to the historic charm you are trying to re-introduce.

The first photo should help you visualize the stone at the base.
    In the second photo, I've added landscaping, starting with a picket-topped stone wall (the wall stone would tie into the stone on the house). I agree with those above in their choices of historic-type plantings (hostas, hydrangeas, etc.), but I'd sprinkle in a few low-maintenance bushes and a flowering crab to give it a bit of color and a slight update. Yellow in the landscape plants tie to the door. The rest of the landscaping adds the color and texture to help the whole property have a nice color balance.
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the images! The house looks wonderful. (I was thinking about an iron fence like I've had in Pittsburgh but with a more craftsman design.)
  • PRO
    Stone & Land, LLC
    11 years ago
    I love the rendering from ourfarmhouse and that arch toped fence or gate would be so cool, goes with the arch on your front porch. Maybe that could be a theme in other places in you garden, like a pass through iron pergola / arborform the driveway area to the side and font doors, or in the back garden. There aren't a lot of good quality images of something that matches . Here's there's one concept I found on Houzz and one I found at http://www.finegardenproducts.com/Arched-Iron-Garden-PergolaArbor_p_763.html#

[houzz=
    usa newyork architectural custom made iron manufacturing · More Info
    ]
  • ispeakwhale
    9 years ago
    I wonder what they did with this house??
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for asking. I'm adding a couple of photos showing what we did. . .
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And here's the front, straight on
  • Pallavi Banerjee
    9 years ago
    That's beautiful
  • ispeakwhale
    9 years ago
    Lovely!! Bright, cheerful and classic. Thank you for the update! I so love a success story! :)
    Sara Kiesler thanked ispeakwhale
  • ispeakwhale
    9 years ago
    It looks like you were leaning toward taupe at one point. What steered you to the color you chose? (Which I think is perfect, btw.)
    Sara Kiesler thanked ispeakwhale
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Siding color was most like the original house. We chose Benjamin Moore “Niveous” #OC-36 in semi-gloss. It's a pale yellow-cream.
  • springcath
    9 years ago
    Oh my, what a beautiful home!Congratulations!
    Sara Kiesler thanked springcath
  • horselover222
    9 years ago
    I agree timber bark is lovely!
    Sara Kiesler thanked horselover222
  • Sara Kiesler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks all. If you are interested in the *inside* of the home, look at my architect's portfolio. It's at http://www.broadhurstarchitects.com; portfolio number 13.
  • sheilaskb
    9 years ago

Why not get a white metal roof to go with the white trim? The white will go a long way in brightening the siding, and you could get white shutters and paint other trim white to match. Personally, I love all the porches and would keep them. The largest porch especially would be wonderful for an extra entertainment area in the summer.

• sheilaskb
    9 years ago

After seeing the photos again, I like the yellow version with the green roof. My favorite is the grey siding with the black shutters, gold door, and white picket fence with colorful landscaping.