Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gearoidin

super king bed placement in impossible room. Help.

gearoidin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The MBR has 3 doors (ensuite/walk-in and entry doors) and two windows that come down to about dining table level. I can't figure out what to do. I have not bought the bed yet. I feel the only place is in the middle of the room! I enclose the floor plan with the rough size of the bed drawn in. What would Feng Shui say?

Comments (12)

• gearoidin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, it would have the feet pointing to the door which the feng shui people say is very bad

• ptreckel
    4 years ago
    Place it on the SW wall...and sleep with your head facing the door! Just kidding... I couldn’t resist. This seems your only option, though, for bed placement.
    gearoidin thanked ptreckel
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

If Feng Shui is what you want, then put sheers and blinds on your windows and place the headboard on the window wall. Run the sheers across, connecting the two windows. The head board most like will be in front of the window, but that is what works for you.

Inspiration:

Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

gearoidin thanked njmomma
  • roccouple
    4 years ago

I think in Feng Shui you can use objects, art or screens to overcome placement issues. I’d put the bed in the “south” corner, as close to the corner as feasible, with feet pointing to the wall with the main door. Then a bed with a foot board, and a focal point along the same wall, near “west” so that when you come in to the room your eye is drawn away from the bed.

I wouldn’t want the feet facing the closet or bedroom wall. You’ll see the toilet. Just my opinion. Good luck!

gearoidin thanked roccouple
  • auntthelma
    4 years ago

You gotta do what you gotta do. Feng Shui suggests that the bed not face so that your feet face the door. It also suggests not having the bed in front of the window.

But this is the room you've got. Put the bed on the SW wall. Close your door at night. No TV or electronics in the room. It will be ok.

My bedroom is a Feng Shui nightmare. Also three doors unless you count the whole wall of closet doors, then 7 doors. One window. An addition that causes a beam to cross right in the middle of the bed, essentially dividing the bed in two sides. Headboard on the entry door wall, feet facing the four closet doors. (I didn't want the headboard at the window.)

I painted everything one color, so the doors disappear, I bought a comforter that has a border around the outsides of the bed to re-join the two sides of the bed. I hung art that brings in my favorite, most restful places (gardens, ponds, barns.) We can only do our best with what we have.

(My home is an apartment in the back of a B&B Inn. Some people have worse apartments or bedrooms in the basement, so this is good for our circumstances.)

• auntthelma
    4 years ago

Another thought, if you are very serious about Feng Shui, invite a practitioner in to help you with 'cures' to offset the bed position.

• auntthelma
    4 years ago

ok, one more. If you put the words, 'Feng Shui' in your dilemma title, practitioners will see it and comment.

gearoidin thanked auntthelma
  • Helen
    4 years ago

Do you adhere to the principles of Feng Shui or is this just something you think you might have a belief in? Your final sentence doesn't appear to be that of a strong believer since you are asking what Feng Shui would say - if you believed in it, you would certainly know what its principles are.

It appears you have two.choices - if you don't believe in Feng Shui but are using it in a what the hell kind of way, nothing to lose - place your bed against the obvious choice which is the South West wall. Disclaimer - I live in a high rise in which almost everybody has their bed facing the bedroom door because it is the obvious place for it. Second disclaimer is that I have absolutely no belief in Feng Shui or any other belief system including any organized religion or other manifestation of superstitious beliefs - I am an equal opportunity skeptical atheist but respect other's belief system whatever they are as valid for them and being as equally valid as my own lack of any belief.

Or you can follow the previous poster'a advice and place the bed in front of the windows with a curtain treatment that minimizes the windows. I don't see facing a door to the master bathroom as an issue as the actual toilet is not in a direct line of vision. I can see my master bathroom if I look through my bathroom door and I find my master bathroom to be beautiful as I selected design elements that I love looking at :-).

gearoidin thanked Helen
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Move the bed so that it is further down the wall so your feet don’t face the door and get a regular king size bed unless you like spending a fortune on bedding for a super.

gearoidin thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • gearoidin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi,

Thank you everyone. You all are great! I'm interested in the Feng Shui ideas because they often match what I feel instinctively about the space in my house, so I feel they are based on something real even if I don't understand it. I am drawn to putting it under the windows myself despite all the feng shui warnings of it making you feel weak. Also maybe a corner placement as it takes up a huge amount of room and I can't afford to buy much furniture.

I have seen the bed against the SW wall (in other similar houses on the street) and it looks terrible there. I could build a wall of books around it and have it out in the room, maybe.

I liked the photo of the contemporary bedroom but I don't like sheers and the windows have a great view. Maybe blinds that roll up from the bottom?

G

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I don't know about Feng Shui but I would rather be in bed being able to look at one door going into another room and look out the windows rather than looking at 2 doors which one goes into the bathroom... and if you go with the SW wall placement, make sure that the MC door doesn't swing into the bed. You might want to blue tape out the bed size on the floor to see how you like it fits before purchasing it.

gearoidin thanked tedbixby