Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_13618924

The Wonderland of Alice

User
6 years ago

Rather than dealing with real world problems, I'm starting this thread to talk about the incredible Alice and her Wonderland world. No discussions of politics, no real world issues, just fantasy and fun. If you would iike to get away from it all for while, tea is being served.

Comments (22)

• User
    6 years ago

User thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ahh tea.

Whynot, will you be mother?

(my dear old mom always said that at teatime)

ETA Well, Actually she would ask “Shall I be mother and pour the tea?”

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sure, I'm probably old enough, technically. :D I used to have tea parties with my granddaughter and grandson. They loved it. We had so much fun.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

When my daughter was in 5th grade (I think), we had a birthday party and all the kids dressed up like characters from Alice. I painted wood cut-outs of all the characters. Most of them over 5' tall. I did enough card men to make a croquet set. They were about two feet tall with the holes for the balls to go through instead of the usual hoops. I made petite fours, cheese straws, mini-tart shells filled with chicken salad, an assortment of other goodies and had tea and juices for everyone. One of the mothers had twin girls. She made them outifts that looked like Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Even had some kind of ribbing to make them look like they were big beach balls with heads, legs, and arms. It was awesome. The kids had a blast!

• Rina
    6 years ago

I thought Alice in Wonderland was non-fiction.

Going to cry, now.

User thanked Rina
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nooooo, Rina. It IS real. It's just otheworldly. A special world that only certain people can go. You know, special people that understand the world we live in is only a shadow of the grandeur that is Wonderland. Don't cry.

• Rina
    6 years ago

Sniff. Thank you, Whynot. So I really am a dormouse?

User thanked Rina
  • User
    6 years ago

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is that who you want to be, Rina? I think I see you more as Cheshire Cat, always enigmatic and knowing more than you let on.

• Kathy
    6 years ago

I can’t tell you just now what the moral of that is, but I shall remember it in a bit.’
    ‘Perhaps it hasn’t one,’ Alice ventured to remark.
    ‘Tut, tut, child!’ said the Duchess. ‘Everything’s got a moral, if only you can find it.’

User thanked Kathy
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Quotes for everything in Alice's world. Such an amazing place. I always loved the white rabbit. Maybe because I was always running everywhere and had a tight timetable when I was younger. I used to sing his song almost everyday.

• User
    6 years ago

Oh, whynot, being mother has nothing to do with age:)

https://qmhistoryoftea.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/shall-i-be-mother/

It is so civilized though.

”Mother’ is an actor-director role in the theatre of tea-time. As Partridge says in his Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, ‘mother’ can be ‘a person of either sex’, and as such, offering to be mother has a frisson of gender pluralism.”

User thanked User
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Ooh, Cheshire Cat scary.

User thanked Rina
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, rox. My thoroughly Southern self had not ever heard that phrase. I love learning new things!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Scary? Nahhh...just a mystery. :D

• Rina
    6 years ago

:-) :- :

User thanked Rina
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Sorry. Got that wrong.

:-).......... -) ........)

See? I'm a very incompetent Cheshire Cat. Competent dormouse.

Sheesh. Had to edit that twice to get it even vaguely right.

User thanked Rina
  • Rina
    6 years ago

I am fighting the temptation to turn this political. Such wonderful quotes to use. But I won't, unless I do, and then I won't have because I said I wouldn't and I don't lie. Unless I do.

User thanked Rina
  • User
    6 years ago

User thanked User
  • Kathy
    6 years ago

Rina....you should because you can but you won’t because you can’t...unless you decide you can because you do...but you can’t undo because you did....

User thanked Kathy