Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momsbasement

To recline, or not to recline

momsbasement
9 years ago
I'm renovating my parents' basement, and my stepdad is determined to put a recliner in the new space. Would you put a recliner in your basement? Any ideas for reclining solutions that aren't so "recliner-y"?

Flash Furniture Recliners Leather Recliners X-GG-0084-0559C-MA · More Info
Yes, go for it.
No way. No recliners.
Other. Tell me below.

Comments (155)

• Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Really............... there are some beautiful recliners out there!
  • nycvavi
    9 years ago
    My husband wants a recliner but we cannot find one to fit! He is very slim but very very tall. Even with the extension model from lazy boy he must pull an ottoman up to accommodate his size fourteen feet. He also would like to put his head back but none of the chairs are tall enough for that. Any ideas?
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
  • Elsa
    9 years ago
    Room and Board has some recliners that don't look anything like my grandfathers huge one. They are always great quality, amazing customer service and you can choose almost any fabric or leather for them as well.
  • kizmit27
    9 years ago
    Chair with ottoman
  • msubreeze
    9 years ago
    I once said no to recliners until I found one that really did look like a normal chair and had legs. Still not my favorite, but I folded and got one. EVERYONE FOUGHT TO SIT IN IT, including ME... You are talking a basement too, so make dad happy and then let HIM sit in it! Did he ever do something for you he didn't want to do?
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago

momsbasement Please let us know what you did, we are all waiting to hear !!

• Avery
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Ashton, Just saw the first episode ....so excited to see what you do and what happened to the 7 recliners, lol. Your mom is one lucky lady! :-)

• Avery
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Btw, I'm hoping dad ended up with something like one (or two) of these.....but hopefully not all 7. :-))

• Martiel Hay
    8 years ago

Go for a lazy boy brand and keep it for your dad as it is in the basement, a room used for comfort. http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/6393-7975/ This one has heat and massage. and the grey tone fabric is not "Ugly" like most of the other outdated colors. If you did leather it would look even better, only it would be sweaty on the hot summer days. So stick to the fabric.

• Martiel Hay
    8 years ago

This recliner has straight lines for a modern and nice updated look from the old style cushion of pillow curved shape. http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/7452-9237/

• Deb Schense
    8 years ago

Go for a recliner that fits the decor. But give the man a recliner!

• karenmach
    8 years ago

As much as it may not be the look you are going for, it's got to be a liveable and enjoyable space by your Mom and Stepdad. Give the man a recliner! If you can make it look cool, even better, but he needs one.

• User
    8 years ago

@Avery - I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until I was finally able to get the episode to run. You are spot on!

• PRO
    Amy Borman Interior Design
    8 years ago

I HAD to put one in my parents house- -(ailing father) but it is so wonderfully disguised- -you would never know it reclines- -but as a designer- -NO WAY !

• linakaishi
    8 years ago
    The most beautiful room is worthless if it's not comfortable enough for him to enjoy. A good compromise would be for him to at least test drive some other more aesthetically pleasing chair options, but ultimately let him decide.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    8 years ago

Hahahhhaaa! Now we know who asked this question....Ashton Kutcher! Check out the series of project videos that Houzz just posted.

• suzanne_m
    8 years ago
  • respilosa
    8 years ago

Used to be horrified by the thought of recliners, but then I experienced the joy of a good one and finally understood what all the fuss was about!

• tercra
    8 years ago

what about theatre seating?

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Did you ever get your dad a recliner??????????????

• Mandy Feagan
    8 years ago

@Angel18432 - Look at the houzz.com main page. This was a post by Ashton Kutcher. There is a series of him re-doing his mom's basement. His stepdad got his recliner...but it was nice! :)

• PRO
    Laurel Brassard
    8 years ago
    My in laws recently bought new couches that recline. They are modern and beautiful. I'm not a fan of recliners but these definitely changed my mind! Worth the investment.
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Mandy, thanks for the info. Now I'm in the loop !!! Just watched the video.

• rredpenn
    8 years ago

Perfect timing--just in time for Mother's Day! Nice work on the room, and loved mom's reaction! :)

• trizacmar
    8 years ago
    I wouldn't be admitting this out loud ..... But they are comfy!
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    I live in my recliner.
  • patriciamarch
    8 years ago

I think Dad should have his recliner. It is habit but his comfort and he should have that. However, there are great upholstered chairs with the recliner options which is probably where your thoughts go to, so take Dad to a store and have him try out some more updated choices. but if he is not comfortable. let him have his comfort recliner chair.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Read Mandy's post above for up-date on this October 2014 post.

• PRO
    Billiard Factory
    8 years ago

Always recline. It's a must for game rooms.

• Ava Williams
    8 years ago
    If your small animals don't do it you could kill them by reclining a squashing them.
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Read Mandy's post above for up-date on this October 2014 post from Ashton Kutcher.

• K H
    8 years ago

Saw this thread way too late but I hope your dad got his recliner, even if he wants a big old puffy lazy boy, who cares, it's his man cave, leave the man in peace, get him what he wants. Anyway... note on Stressless for older people, beautiful furniture however my dad had one, when he got into early 90's, it was far too low for him to get in and out of, he eventually moved to a lift recliner (at age 96) and he loved it.

• PRO
    Fallon's Furniture
    8 years ago

Both Bassett and La-Z-Boy both have more stylish options that the "clunky" "puffy" recliner look- check out some of the high-leg recliners!

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Fallon - this is an old post and the room is finished - it was a post by Ashton Kutcher for his parents.

• Blake Cornell
    8 years ago

I am curious if the sofas from Huntington House are 8-way hand tied? Does anyone know or can someone from HH please respond?

• PRO
    Huntington House
    8 years ago

Hi Blake Cornell, hope you saw our response to your other comment. Yes, our products are 8 way hand tied. You can see the whole manufacturing process in this video: https://youtu.be/PW-mTc5Z9xs. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Christy Grove

christyg@huntingtonhouse.com

• Bronwen Franklin
    8 years ago

To Avery that posted the pictures of the recliners all 7 of them where are the sold we are doing a granny flat with mixed lounge and kitchen and need a small chair but my mother-in-law wants the big one so if i could show her those one i would solve the space problem

• M B
    8 years ago
    I wish we had a basement because that is where my husbands oversized recliner would be and not in my living room. I love him but I'm not fond of his recliner. Don't get me wrong about recliners. I also have one but it looks like a winged back chair and is in our master bedroom. The problem is his looks like a recliner and he likes it.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    8 years ago

Yes if made in fabric and not too bulky like the one in the photo...but I will wait till I am older to change my living room furniture to include recliners

• susanburch50
    8 years ago

Lazy boy has some sink into, kid leather, so soft and cuddly that your step dad will never get out of. You pay the price but OMG the real good ones are so comfortable...but, they do look like recliners but so worth the comfort for him :)....why not just get 2...one for each and work the rest of the furniture around them. Honestly, he wants one that is comfortable so find 5 then let him sit in them all lol

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

Nothing better than kicking back and reclining after a long day!

• willozwisp
    8 years ago

Lafer brand recliners. Quite the deal at Urban Expressions Furnishings online. The owner, Andrew, is an expert on furniture and more than helpful. It combines form and function and is top quality. A piece of art and a great recliner.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

2014 post - posted by Ashton Kutcher.

Basement is now done.

• PRO
    Cressina
    8 years ago

Jessye Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Cressina - this is a very old thread - but i guess you know that.

• PRO
    not applicable
    7 years ago

I like some of the the "Hooker" brand recliners; high end, not your typical recliner...Houzz has more on their website.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 years ago

There are some great ones out there that don't look too "recliner-y." However, you can always get a similar experience with a nice arm chair and ottoman.

• HU-549487678
    5 years ago

First of all, I think Dad should be comfortable in his own home, so it's his call. Secondly, what is a recliner these days ? Anything from a 3 or more "theater seating" set or some very non traditional pieces that don't look a thing like the normal old recliners we grew up with to the good old traditional recliners. And with all that variety, it might be wise to pick out a "centerpiece" for the room____the flooring or maybe some prominent entertainment center or other cabinetry___something to serve as the focal point of the room___and then decide on the style of seating that "works" with the focus point.