What material is the floor?

vilvoorde_style
11 years ago
Duncan Avenue Basement Renovation · More Info

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Ryan Duebber Architect, LLC
    11 years ago
    The floor throughout is painted concrete. Large shag rug covers most of the media/ living area.
  • vilvoorde_style
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your reply. So how were you able to effectivly insulate the room? It looks like there is nothing in the ceiling, the walls nor the floor?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We added inslulation where we could to increase comfort and sound isolation between spaces. More than half of the basement wall was underground which is obviously a good source of insulation. We put new windows in which improved the envelope as well. Also the stone foundation walls were very thick (18") which contributes to the R-value. Ultimately we improved the envelope and met code requirements for new wall construction.
  • vilvoorde_style
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Very impressive! Gives me some hope for our new basement in Belgium! Thanks for your answers.
  • gakz
    11 years ago
    I am using this to base my design for my basement ( a 1960 split foyer home) where the laundry/furnace are downstairs next to a 1.5/2 stall garage. Thanks for the inspiration and that I dont have to frame around my concrete walls and I can enhance them the way they are!
  • eazine
    11 years ago
    Great ideas here, thank you for sharing. We are experiencing the same issues in our 1920's basement but this may just be our answer.
  • rremmoddeler
    11 years ago
    I like the basement. How did you do the floor? Did you just paint, or have to do a cement job on top? I have been disappointment with many basement paints. What kind did you use with this and color? I really like it.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Please see my comments regarding floor paint on other photo comments. You should find your answers there.
  • Stephanie Molinaro
    11 years ago
    I am ready to finish my basement and my ceilings are already painted black and I was discuraged about that until I saw these pics. If you dont mind what was the approximate cost for this basement? I have about 800 sq ft I want to finish and the layout is about the same. Id like to paint the floors with epoxy. Thank you.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Typically basements range in cost from $25/sf up to $100/sf. I would rather not share specific costs per owner request. It depends on a lot of factors. The costly items that increase square foot cost are the bar and bathroom areas. Be careful using epoxy paint finish for floor. Get advice from your local paint supplier to make sure you use the right product based on your conditions. A concrete opaque stain/paint is another option you may want to look into.
  • Donita Rhodes
    7 years ago

Epoxy isn't a good product for a basement floor due to moisture. It would peel off.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!