Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_796393903

Worried homeowner - bathroom shower

Darlene
4 years ago

We've recently hired a company to install a new upstairs master shower. They are using a PVC liner on the floor. I had to fight with them to do a pre-sloped mortar bed under the liner and now that the liner is in place i have some concerns.

I think the drain should have weep holed. If anything, this drain is higher in the middle than the outer edge. it does not seem to lend itself to drain.

Also, the way they have done the liner at the corner and sides looks very incorrect to me.

They say i am wrong so i am hoping some experts can weigh in for me at let me know whether this is as bad as I think it is.

thanks for all input - even if you tell me i am wrong it will help me sleep easier.

Darlene

Comments (12)

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

What led you to select this contractor for this work? He appears to not have experience.

• Darlene
    Original Author
    4 years ago

that is what i am discovering. I know more than them just by watching a couple of videos. They are actually subcontractors to who i contracted to do a full bathroom remodel, I am hoping to get several pros to tell me this is wrong to arm myself for the fight. Like i mentioned i already made them tear out one liner that had no pre-slope (even though Texas state code mandates it). The slope honestly isn't even enough i fear.

• enduring
    4 years ago

following.

I can't help, because I have no experience with this. I did a cast iron shower pan, and had my plumber install it. I was afraid of the tile process for the floor.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

It can't be inferred from the photo, but the type of drain installed typically has integral weeps. With a pre-slope, best practice is to ensure the weep function by placing small stones around the drain at installation.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The corners say this person should never wrap presents. Etc.

You hired cheap. And you have the chance to fix your error on the front end. No brainer.

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

Terminating your contract could have a variety of implications, particularly if you've made a substantial, non-refundable deposit. Your contract should specify the process for terminating the contract. Look it over before discussing that option with your contractor.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If it's the right flange, there should be notches (more weep holes at the bottom where it meets the floor) and then the weep cover goes on top before you mud the base. As for the liner, the floor under that is first pre-floated and pitched (standard for slope is 1/4"/ft. but we generally use more), but I can't see what they did. And that liner installation is questionable. Maybe the corners aren't done? The fold is incorrect right now but it appears they are still working on it? Again, hard to comment on the things we can't see.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    4 years ago

TFW, good info. We don't use those. We get ours from our specialty tile supplier. At times the plumber handles it but we let them know what we want.

• MongoCT
    4 years ago

You should not have had to insist on getting a proper preslope. An installer skipping a fundamental step like that, a code requirement, and pushing back when you insisted? Not good.

The clamping drain? Others have already commented, so I'll just add a photo that shows the holes in red as well as the channels in the threading.

The corners? Everything simply looks tacked in place. I'd venture the corners will be folded more neatly as the project advances.

Based on the issues at hand, especially the preslope, I'd have a conversation with the installer, or a company rep, before the project advances. Not sure what wall treatment will be used, but I'd want to go over simple details, for example, if basic cement board is used, that it's not buried in the floor mud. That the liner is properly detailed at the curb. Things like that.

By fighting you over the basics of a code-required preslope, your installer has opened themselves up to making sure the remainder of the details are properly executed.

Good luck with the project.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

Waiting to see photos of how the curb gets detailed. Will it be the so often seen nail cement board through the liner?

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    4 years ago

noble curb overlay is great as long as it fits your curbs lumber. Ive installed dozens of them. I would continue to be a hawkeye and share your photos of the process if they were intending to go thru the liner on the curb its likely theyve already made more errors.

You never clarified how your flood test went and how well the pan liner drained after the flood test was inspected.

Its sad you have A GC willing to skimp on tile labor, exactly why i very rarely sub-contract.