Woodland Swag - New
This door swag is incredibly versatile; it can be used throughout the entire holiday season and it can even be saved for future use (just toss the live greenery and replace it each year). You might consider swapping out the ribbon for a fresh look each season.
Materials for a woodland door swagBundle of evergreen branchesArtificial seed podAssorted artificial greenery and branchesThree pine conesFive gold jingle bellsSix feet of wired turquoise ribbonFlexible wireScissorsPruning shearsPliers or wire cuttersHot glue gun
1. Begin by arranging your evergreen branches into a pleasing cluster of branches which will act as the base for your door swag. Wrap a piece of wire tightly around the branches about two inches from the top to hold them together.
2. Cut the artificial greenery into sections so that you can spread them out.
3. Place the longest branches on the bottom, then layer any other thin greenery in the middle. Last, arrange the bushier leaves on top as shown here.
4. Bunch the faux branches together so they are all close to the same length at the bottom. Decide how long you want the layer to be by holding it against the bundle of evergreen branches. Use wire to secure the branches about two inches below where you want the top of the bundle of faux branches to be.
5. Trim the excess stems off about two inches above the wire. Add a few dabs of hot glue in inconspicuous spots so that everything stays in place.
6. Cut most of the stem off the seed pod, and use hot glue to attach it to the top of the cluster, slightly to one side.
7. Glue the pine cones on in the same manner, clustering them around the seed pod.
8. String the jingle bells onto a piece of wire, and twist the ends together. Position the bells next to the seed pod and wrap the wire around the surrounding greenery to hold the bells in place.
9. Use wire to attach the artificial cluster you’ve just completed to the evergreen branches. Trim off any excess stems at the top of the swag.
10. Cut a four foot piece of ribbon and tie it into a bow around the top of the swag. Use a bit of hot glue to secure it.
11. To give the bow some extra oomph, use 20 inches of ribbon to create another bow layer. Fold it as shown here so that there are loops on either side. Pinch the center point and wrap a small piece of wire around to secure it. Trim the ends off.
12. Use hot glue to adhere it behind the existing bow.
13. Last, wrap a 4 inch length of ribbon around the knots in the center so that they have the appearance of one large bow rather than two smaller ones. Pinch the ends and tuck them underneath, securing them with hot glue.
The swag can be hung by simply attaching an adhesive hook to your door.