Palo Alto, CA, US
Houzz is the leading home renovation and design platform in the world. We have a highly engaged community of more than 40 million unique monthly users who leverage our technologies to find inspiration for their next home project, connect with over 2.3 million home design and remodeling professionals and discover products in the Houzz Shop.
About the Role
We are looking for a world-class devops engineer to build and support systems that will scale with the growth of our site, the most popular home remodeling site in the world. You’ll make data readily available for our entire engineering team, making sure we can sustain the workload and quickly recover when issues arise. You will improve our cluster to support more innovative ways of using the data, thus producing smarter experience to our end-users.
What You'll Do
- Build scalable systems that process, store and serve petabytes of data
- Optimize systems from hardware to software level
- Maintain the operational status of our systems
- Build tools that will automate common infrastructure routines
- Gather requirements and build new solutions to solve the pain points of analysts and developers
- Reduce the operational cost by improving our resource usage and reducing cruft
- Choose and implement new technologies that will enable us to sustain our growth for years to come
At a Minimum, We'd Like You to Have
- Production experience with large scale distributed systems, including triaging failures and performance tuning
- Experience managing Linux based systems
- Experience with AWS infrastructure
- Proficiency in modern compiled and scripting languages such as Java and Python
- Experience with modern data technology including Hadoop, NoSQL data stores, key-value stores, MPP warehouse solutions, etc.
- Independence, self-direction and an amazing ability to get stuff done
- Strong understanding of algorithms, web services and data management
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years experience ideally including technical lead roles
Ideally, You'll Also Have
- Experience with configuration management systems like Salt Stack, Chef and Puppet
- Experience with automating deployment with AWS infrastructure, including CLIs, APIs and CloudFormation
- Operational experience managing production systems and triaging issues
Be Who You Are and Do What You Love at Houzz
We’re a Family
At Houzz, we strive to create and foster a strong family environment in our workplace. We collaborate to accomplish our goals, always working as a team. We aim to build a culture of inclusion — celebrating and leveraging our differences for the betterment of one another, our products and our community.
Houzz team members come from many backgrounds and bring diverse experiences to the company. We take pride in making each person feel at home.
We Build the Future
Join Houzz in revolutionizing the home remodeling and design industry and have an impact on the more than 40 million homeowners who use our platform every month and the 2.3 million-plus home professionals around the world who are active on the site. Houzz has been named one of the most innovative companies in the world by CNBC and others, and is backed by top venture capitalists. At Houzz, you can help drive the future of an industry worth $1.2 trillion in the U.S. and Europe alone.
We Make Things Happen
Our team members play a key role in guiding the direction of our company and are able to work across multiple groups to implement fresh ideas that allow Houzz to be the industry leader. If you are interested in applying your passion to create products that will transform the lives of millions of people who are designing, remodeling and decorating their homes, welcome to Houzz.
Benefits and Perks
-Flexible paid time off
-Medical, dental, vision and pet insurance
-Maternity/paternity leave program
-Employee assistance program
-401k retirement savings plan
-Flexible spending accounts
-Healthy at Houzz program
-Catered meals, fully stocked kitchens and much more!
Houzz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.