10 Ideas for an Anything-but-Boring Basement
Let your imagination run wild and get the most bang from your basement
If you’re lucky enough to have a basement in your home, don’t let this prime real estate go to waste. Whether you want to make it a family-friendly hangout or a sophisticated space for adults, there’s a range of possibilities in creating an underground gem. Here are 10 tips for making the most of this special space.
1. Choose a theme. Themes can often come across as too heavy-handed in main living areas, but a basement can be a great place to let your imagination go wild. This beach-loving basement in Boston has a variety of nautical-themed elements, such as a lifesaver-inspired pillow and photos of sailor knots.
2. Keep it light. Basements are often dark and dreary. Avoid this by adding can lights to the ceiling and using lighter shades of paint on the walls. If possible, add a window well to bring in natural light.
3. Make it multiuse. If you have a large basement and many hobbies, there’s no reason to dedicate the space to just one of them. Carve out smaller zones to satisfy everyone’s favorite pastimes. This family-friendly basement has a dedicated craft corner and gallery wall to showcase the latest masterpieces.
4. Live colorfully. Though I recommend keeping the walls a lighter shade, that doesn’t mean color should be banned in a basement. This below-ground space is often a great place to test out bolder options. Maybe hot pink is too daring for your living room? Try the look in the basement first and then consider bringing it upstairs once you’ve warmed up to it.
5. Encourage play. Incorporate a fun gaming element. Get rid of the mindless video games and bring in a table tennis or foosball set. These are activities the whole family can enjoy all year round.
6. Make it cozy. Don’t skimp on the details just because this is the basement. Treat this space as you would your living room. Lay wallpaper. Hang art. Add a soft rug. Layer with pillows. These little tricks will really help to make this your family’s favorite space.
7. Take on renters. If you’re in search of a little extra income, consider renovating your basement and listing it for rent. Create separate areas for eating, lounging and sleeping, and enjoy the extra paper lining your pocket.
8. Make it for adults. Who says kids get to have all the fun? Create a space that is ideal for adult play. Set up a bar and pool table for fun Friday nights. If you have children, they can still use the space — just make sure to keep toys and clutter out of sight and out of mind.
9. Warm it up. By adding a fireplace to your basement, you’re adding instant warmth. Cozy up with loved ones around the hearth and share stories of your day. No TV? No problem! Your loved ones are all you need to be entertained here.