Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laryan57

David E Flynn. You're 95% right because 95% need professional help but the other 5% like me don't need it. All I need is a good contractor to build what I want.

1 Like    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynmastro
It’s often difficult to work with a designer if you already have a vision for what you want. I agree they can sometimes spot pitfalls and problems in large projects and possibly save money but they don’t work for free. If you really have no clue what you want a designer can pull a look together. However, I have never met a designer who shared my vision and I was much more comfortable doing it myself. Warning! It can be very time consuming and take a lot of leg work, literally. But if you enjoy it, it’s worth it. Built three houses and remodeled two all without a designer.
2 Likes    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rvmcdonald3
Well presented, rooms and unless you have all the time in the world and can source products as well as manage trades go for it yourself!
   

Related Stories

Life Is Your Bedroom Designed for a Good Night’s Sleep?
Find out how the right nightstands, bedding, rugs, TV and storage can help you get more restful slumber
Full Story
Data Watch Top Styles, Colors and Finishes for Master Bath Remodels in 2018
Contemporary is again the No. 1 style, but farmhouse is gaining steam, according to the U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends Study
Full Story
Most Popular Your Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
When winter departs, it’s time to check for damage and prepare for hot weather ahead
Full Story
Shop Houzz High-Performance Rugs With Free Shipping
By Houzz
These hard-wearing rugs add lasting style to your home
See Products
Home Offices The Top 15 Home Office Photos of 2018
Want to enjoy working at home? Design a room that makes you feel creative, inspired and energized
Full Story
Most Popular How Much Does It Cost to Hire an Interior Designer?
Interior designers may charge hourly rates, flat fees, cost-plus or a combination. Here’s what that means for you
Full Story
Area Rugs Statement Rugs Under $199
By Houzz
Rugs with bold patterns, rich hues and affordable prices
See Products
Before and Afters Before and After: 6 Bedrooms That Offer Function and Style
Designers find a place for the pooch, a solution for reading in bed and a creative way to nix the need for a headboard
Full Story
Colorful Kitchens Cooking Up Color: 8 Kitchens That Bring the Green
Fresh and crisp or soft and soothing, this color is a natural in the kitchen
Full Story