Be Mindful of Body Language
Did you know that only 7% of a message is conveyed through words, while the remaining 93% is conveyed by body language and tone of voice? In other words, what you’re saying is less important than how you’re saying it.
Things like gestures, posture, eye contact, facial expressions and tone of voice all affect the way a client receives what you’re saying. Therefore, trying to resolve a conflict in person or by video call will be more fruitful than doing so over text or email, as you’ll be able to demonstrate your points more clearly and avoid being misinterpreted.
One of the main sources of miscommunication occurs when your body language doesn’t match your words. For example, if you struggle to maintain eye contact with your client while trying to resolve the conflict, you may be unintentionally conveying the message that you don’t want to be having the conversation, even if your words say otherwise. This will make your client feel as though their problems aren’t worth your time and can detract from any progress you’re making.