2. Your website should look great on every device.
38% of visitors will stop engaging with a website if the content or layout is unattractive. Simply put, your website needs to look good. So what makes a website visually appealing?
First of all, your website must be mobile friendly which means that it displays correctly on every device. Whether your visitor is viewing your website on their mobile phone, tablet, or desktop, your website should function optimally without any trouble viewing the content. They should not have to pinch and zoom or scroll endlessly to see a page. . Having a mobile friendly, responsive website is critical for offering a contact form that your visitors can easily complete on all devices.
Additionally, your layout should feature consistent colors, designs, and fonts. Houzz offers customizable templates that make great, consistent designs automatic. If you have professionally-photographed project photos, featuring your most eye-catching image on your homepage will help capture initial interest and encourage visitors to continue browsing.
3. Make a personal connection with your website visitors.
Make your website visitors feel like they have met you personally by going beyond listing the services that your business provides in your “About” or “About Us” page. When you describe your business, tell your visitors about you and your team on a personal level. Do you operate a father-daughter construction business? Are your designs inspired by the coastal environment in which you live and operate? How did your passion for home remodeling or design come alive? How long have you been in business?
You can also put a face to your business by featuring a photo of you or your team. You can add a Team page to your website where your website visitors can get to know a little more about you and your employees.
4. Your website should be SEO friendly.
You want your business website to be found when homeowners in your area search for the services that your business offers. This is possible with an SEO-friendly website. Websites built on our platform automatically come with a variety of powerful features that help your website be found online through search, including:
- mobile friendly templates
- automatically created meta tags and descriptions
- business contact information that is featured on footers on every page on your website. This ensures that your website is localized so that homeowners who live in your area can find your website.
- a map of your business location on your Contact page powered by Google Maps. This helps your website win local search rankings, and enables your visitors to click on the map to see where your business is located and be able to get directions there.
- lots of technical features that work hard behind the scenes to get your business found by the homeowners that are the most likely to hire you.
We’ve covered several tips and best practices for making sure that your website is effective in building your brand, attracting local homeowners, and converting future clients. If you’d love to have a beautiful website that wins you leads, (but you don’t have the time to deal with doing the building and maintenance yourself!), reach out to the Houzz team. We’re happy to help you get started with our website design and website management services.