Many people believe shutters belong on the exterior of a home. While these window treatments look exceptional when framing your windows from the outside, you might be surprised to learn they can look just as good inside your home. Interior shutters are highly customizable and can easily be adjusted as the angle of sunlight arcs over the sky from dawn to dusk like a clock hand. If this sounds much more appealing than having to fight with heavy drapes or the pull cord on your blinds, here are some helpful tips to help you select the perfect window shutters:
What kinds of window shutters are there?
While shutters started out featuring thin louvers that resembled the slats on Venetian blinds, homeowners have moved toward the wider louvers of plantation shutters for maximum light exposure and expanded views of the outdoors. Plantation blinds typically come in wood or poly-engineered materials that resemble wood:
• Wooden shutters: You can let the natural beauty of the wood shine or have it painted or stained in any color under the sky. Wood is stronger than your poly-engineered option and therefore more durable. It’s also lighter weight, which means you have more freedom when choosing the size of your panels.
• Poly shutters: If cost is important to you, a poly-engineered material will be cheaper. It’s also durable and holds its color well. If you live in an area where humidity is an issue, poly may be your best choice due to its moisture-resistant qualities.
What size louvers will look best on my plantation blinds?
When choosing what size louvers you’d like, remember that larger louvers will provide a better view and more sunlight. In general, it’s recommended to choose at least 2 1/2 inch louvers for any size window. If your room has high ceilings, you can up the size of your louvers to 3 1/2 inches or wider for a dramatic, light-filled look.
Are there other features I can add to my plantation shutters?
The great thing about shutters is their customizability. While you shop, keep an eye out for these additional features that can enhance your shutters’ style:
• Custom sizing: If you have odd-shaped or irregularly-sized windows, don’t fret. You can still have plantation blinds built to size.
• Height: Most people prefer full-length styles, however you can choose a style that only covers part of your window. Some styles rise to shoulder height, while others only go up to half of your window’s height.
• Cordless: You can ditch the pull cords in favor of built-in bars along the bottom that can be pulled to raise or lower the height. Another common feature is tilt rods that can be pushed up or down to open and close the louvers. Some tilt rods are even hidden, which creates a clean, sleek look.
Get inspired with our curated ideas for Interior Shutters and find the perfect item for every room in your home. With such a wide selection of Interior Shutters for sale, from brands like Acorn Manufacturing Co., Renovator's Supply, and CEDAR GREEN, you’re sure to find something that you’ll love. Shop from Interior Shutters, like the the Solid Wood Louvered Shutters or the 12" x 54" Exterior Western Red Cedar Louvered Shutters, while discovering new home products and designs. Whether you’re looking to buy Interior Shutters online or get inspiration for your home, you’ll find just what you’re looking for on Houzz.