I'm not sure where to start. Cotton Custom Homes is AMAZING. We used Bill and his team (Tim, Jason, etc.) to build custom home in the Apex, NC area. With a long list of (sometimes changing) requirements, Bill worked hard to accommodate all our needs and we ended up with an OUTSTANDING result. Words cannot truly express how we feel about our experience. Here's a few highlights:
- Willingness to go above and beyond to meet customer needs - we built some things in our house that hadn't been done before, but Bill tackled them with aplomb - things like Variable Frequency Drive pumps and a slide (just to name a couple.)
- Our house was his house - he looked at the project as if he was building his next house, with an eye to detail and exactness that puts other builders we've worked with to shame. Things we wouldn't even notice would get redone in certain cases - because they didn't meet his standards of quality.
- Changes? No problem. I can't tell you how many times we went back and forth and changed things - Bill doesn't charge change fees (which makes this easy), but he also doesn't get frustrated when you make lots of changes. Sure, in some cases (adding a transom window where there wasn't one, for example) incur a time and materials cost - but many of our changes they just handled. I recall in one case Bill telling a subcontractor (though I'm not sure he knew I heard) "I don't like to hear 'I can't do that' - you can say 'it is not easy'".
- Tweaks. Sometimes to get things "just right" requires some tweaking and changes - that takes time and effort, but Bill and his team took it all in stride and sometimes came back multiple times to make sure things were "just right"
- Tim, Jason, and the rest of the Cotton team (Scott, Dan, Anita, the list is long..) are excellent to work with, and really are in tune with client requests.
- Personal attention - during construction we were seeing or meeting with Bill/Tim on a very regular basis - almost every day, and they were sent tons of questions (and changes) as we went along, and collated and handled them wherever possible.
In short - I'm not sure you're going to find a better builder in the area. Combine that with the fact that we shopped around with at least 4 builders, and Cotton was the best in terms of personality, as well as price.