Software
Houzz Logo Print
brodyt

Rules about windows?

12 years ago
What are the "rules" about windows. I didn't know there were any? I am going to have 9 ft. ceilings throughout with a 10 ft. tray in the living room. Builder is saying all windows should be 80" to the top. This looks so odd to me with the 9 ft. ceilings. If I break it for the living room, does it look weird if the dining room windows follow the rule? Thanks for any opinions.. I'm having so many issues with the size of these windows!

Comments (8)

  • 12 years ago
    Is he a builder or an architect? I know Frank Lloyd Wright did not follow that rule. I would look on Houzz for ideas and pictures, drive around, look at other houses. Notice which houses you like. Take pictures. Now that you are aware of windows, you will really notice them on house, ones that say Wow! Others will look like a kid's drawing, a square cut into quarters. Bottom line, it is your house and if you are having it built, it should be the way you want it.

    What style of house are you having built? How far along are you in building the house?

    The right windows can really make a statement on about the house.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The conventional 'rule' is to keep all the windows at the same height when the ceiling is the same throughout.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Consider doors and windows together. It generally looks better when the door and window head height is the same. Standard doors are 6' 8", (80").
  • 12 years ago
    The house is still in the final planning stages. Nothing set in stone yet. All ceilings will be 9 ft. except for a 10 ft. tray in the living room. All doors are standard 80". The house is basically a ranch but with craftsman cottage influences. Thanks for you input! Sounds like it can go both ways!
  • 12 years ago
    I have taller windows in my bedrooms than the doors. The effect is of shortening the doors. I wanted tall windows so I am okay with this look, but make sure you know what you are getting into. The relationship to notice is door and window, not window and ceiling.
    brodyt thanked mfwolfe
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with looking at Houzz photos and deciding what you like…

    80 inches to the top would be appropriate with a 8 ft ceiling. You want to go higher with your window tops with a higher ceiling…. 9 foot ceiling will make you very happy. Don't let a wrong window height detract from this.

    Also, make sure the windows themselves will be long enough so that your builder doesn't just move them upward and create too much space below. It isn't just the height of the window that is important---the size of the window should be a good scale for the room size… Doesn't have to fill the space---okay to have some wall above and below the window--but if your builder is acting like 80 inches is correct, he may not be good with design issues, so double check in your own mind what he plans to use. (Not to say he won't be a great builder, but design and building are not the same skills)

    ….Think about the lengths that off-the-rack drape panels come in (96 inches 104 inches etc--whatever they are)… It will save you from hemming or buying custom-made if you think "drape length" at the same time you are deciding about window height placement… (Honestly, you will be happy if you do this!)

    Good luck and Happy Decorating!
    brodyt thanked sally78
  • 12 years ago
    With 9' ceilings I like to set the windows at 8'. Sometime if the door opening wants to be at that height I go with a 6'8" door with a transom. Often we put a temp. piece of plain glass in there and the owner can come back later and put in a piece of stained glass. Looks great!