Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmeister419

What to do with this fireplace?

12 years ago
Hi all. I have a 1920's colonial home which we are in the process of updating, however we want to keep the colonial charm. Personally, I feel that the fireplace is stuck in the 70's. I want to brighten the room since the trim is dark, so I was thinking of painting the fireplace an off-white, keeping the dark wood mantle, and changing the screen and accessories to black. Any other ideas that won't cost me a fortune? This has to be DIY. Our skill level is fairly high. I included some photos of the surrounding decor to give you an idea of the color scheme. Thanks!!!

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would do a white wash, do an internet seach on that, i think it would be charming and keep the character. just not solid white. Diy videos are available for the white wash.
    cmeister419 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Even a white mantle would brighten up the area.
    cmeister419 thanked Elizabeth Woodfield
  • 12 years ago
    I think it looks great the way it is especially because you have the unpainted wood work in the rest of the living space. I do think it needs a chunkier, more noticeable mantle. I think painting the brick will make it appear more dated actually
    cmeister419 thanked Andy F
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks so much for the advice!
  • 12 years ago
    I like your ideas and would beef up the mantel with trim to make it look more substantial. If you're good at DIY, the idea of a facade like Amelia suggested above would be attractive. The first thing I'd do is replace the screen and accessories. It will improve the appearance considerably while you decide upon and create your final choice.
    cmeister419 thanked GizV
  • 12 years ago
    I'm with andyflorer21. I moved into an old house and previous owners painted over all the old wood and the brick fireplace. It's awful and will be such a huge chore to restore. Just add some bling items on top of the mantle or paint the frame on the mirror. You could try washing the brick with vinegar and water solution to see if that brightens it up. Just don't let the solution dry. Keep it wet for 20 min. then rinse off.
    cmeister419 thanked nmowers
  • 12 years ago
    This is a third vote for keeping the brick as it is, and trying to clean it. It's the brick and wood that gives your home it natural charm.

    You might try looking up Nicole Curtis of HGTV's Rehab Addict to see how she restores old homes from that era. She has fireplaces very much like what you've got so I hardly think it's right out of the 70s.
    cmeister419 thanked hayleydaniels
  • 12 years ago
    Is your sofa from Macys?
  • 12 years ago
    I watch Nicole Curtis all the time! I feel like it's the pattern of the brick and grout color that makes it look 70's, not the fact that it's brick. The brass accessories don't help. I will consider re-vamping the mantle but I thought that might be the only thing I'd keep because it is beautiful wood. Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    Nicole - yes they are from Macy's
  • 12 years ago
    Your house looks more craftsman than colonial to me. That said, the only things I would do to that fireplace are clean the brick, lose the brass--all of it--and remove everything on the mantel except the art. I might also find a more vibrant piece of art, but I would not paint the brick.