Software
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_edeburn

Mold in unfinished basement

12 years ago
I am buying a new house with an unfinished basement. I do not close for another 30 days. I have been meeting with general contractors to discuss finishing the basement once I close. Of the 5 general contractors that came out to offer bids, only 1 suspected that the filmy substance coming from the sides and undersides of the floor joists suspected mold. The substance looked more like cob webs. It is not the black mold I continue read about. The builder is having it remediated and buying a dehumidifier, and I have an independent mold inspection before closing.

However, I'm worried. What is the effect on resale? I'm terrified to consider finishing the basement anytime soon, now. Also, the yard has only been rough graded. I've also asked for underground downspouts to be put in to help push water away from the house....

Should I consider backing out of this house? The idea of mold, which now has to be disclosed carries a heavy stigma that will deter future buyers and significantly impair resale value down the road...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Comments (4)