Software
Houzz Logo Print
kateef

What would you do with this window treatment and curtains?

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
We just moved into a new home and it has some existing window blinds. Nice Hunter Douglas white blinds with the crown molding detail at the top. This issue is, I would like to use some panel curtains with these but the molding really sits out far from the window - at least 3-4". I need something for privacy as the neighbors are close. Window treatments are expensive so what would you do. Hang the curtains and just leave the molding up - I have searched through Houzz and couldn't find one picture with this scenario. Behind the molding is a white medal casing that hold the blinds and only sits out from the window about 1/2". Should I take the molding off and leave blinds to put curtains up with it. Should I remove the blinds and molding in total and get some other treatment like sheers and curtains? My least favorite option is the last because the house is 4 floors and all the windows have the same treatment except for living and dining rooms which have curtains and grass cloth blinds. So removing them all is time consuming and pricey. Thanks for offering an opinion and giving me some guidance. What else do you think I should do?

Comments (8)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would take the molding off to make panels work.......really like the blinds instead of sheers. BUT I have a concern with the window shown.....is there room for the panels to stack on the edge of the window on the left?
    kateef thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    Put curtains over the blinds. Your curtain rod should stick out far enough so the curtains hang flat over those blinds. As you're able, I'd get rid of those blinds. I like having both blinds and curtains for extra privacy, but you need blinds that fit inside the window, not outside like those.
    kateef thanked hayleydaniels
  • 12 years ago
    I would leave the blinds up. You said you need the privacy and these blinds give it to you so why take them down. You can purchase rods that project up to 6' from the wall to extend pass the molding. www.curtainandbathoutlet.com Putting drapery over the blinds will soften up the window..
    kateef thanked Gina P
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. I agree it is going to be a tight fit on the left side but I do want to add curtains to soften the room. I actually prefer sheers to blinds so may take the advice to leave them for now and slowly replace a couple over time. I am going to buy panels from some place I found on houzz that makes custom curtains. I'll post pictures once I finish. This is my daughter's room and she is only 6 so I know her tastes (and mine) will change so didn't want to spend a great deal of money so was trying to figure out best options. Appreciate your advice.
  • 12 years ago
    Replace the molding with an interesting valence. A neat, clean flat panel valence would easily add visual interest and softness, and camouflage the blinds when they are fully raised, and actually enhance the simple white, clean, horizontal lines of the blinds. Vertical drapes would crowd the sides or narrow the window.

    You can get more elaborate with the draping or create a valence board covered with light padding and a favored fabric. Consider adding other textures or visual interest objects: a strip of bark, metal, seashells, ribbons, beading, buttons, fringing etc. You get the idea.

    How you suspend your valence can also add interest and texture: keep it simple with a hidden support or get creative with your rod, or valence board support. Suspending it from above, adds interest and height to the room without crowding the sides.

    Be frugal and peruse the Ikea site. They have some wonderful ideas and inexpensive hardware. Of course, HOUZZ will be packed with great ideas. Good luck.
    kateef thanked shoulderdoc
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Here are a couple vibrant fabric design solutions from ARKfabric.com Samples are very large 10 x 18 inches. We provide fully developed design solutions for almost any setting.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The blinds and valances are beautiful. DON'T touch a thing. I am sure that there are other design issues in your new home that don't involve removing a pristine window treatment and creating a domino effect throughout the entire home.
    Curtains are dust collectors. We love fabric ( witness on our marketplace, our line of original pillows!), I mean we REALLY love fabric, but curtains are time consuming to keep clean and do not give the best coverage. Think about planting outside your windows for extra privacy.
    Life is too short :) to remove perfectly good window treatments, particularly since they are white and not at all offensive.
    Regards and keep us posted,
    Karen & Joseph
    for Decorative Philosophy
    kateef thanked Decorative Philosophy