Software
Houzz Logo Print
ticklem3silly

No natural light in kitchen

12 years ago
Any suggestions in what kind of updates I can do to brighten up a kitchen/dining area that has no window?

Comments (22)

  • 12 years ago
    Can you install a skylight?
  • 12 years ago
    @mcbmd3 unfortunately we can't since it's a condo and we have someone above us.
  • 12 years ago
    You seem to have plenty of light. I can't see what's over the dining table, but you could use a lower hanging pendant or chandelier.

    I know you didn't ask, but the big art needs to go lower by 6" or so, and the little art on the end wall is way too small. Your rug is also a bit small, but removing it entirely will make the space feel bigger.
    ticklem3silly thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Lighter countertops would probably help. But overall, do you mean brighter so you can see what you're doing? Or just visually more appealing? People often just embrace the smaller space, and by painting it darker it gets more cozy and appealing. But if you can't see then you need more lighting.
    ticklem3silly thanked qofmiwok
  • 12 years ago
    qofmiwok I was referring to brighter in making it more visually appealing. I was thinking about going with quart (white with grey specks) counter, new white cabinets and white subway tiles.
  • 12 years ago
    groveraxle this furniture was from the old owners. I was thinking of doing a buffet table with a mirror above it. More storage and hopefully the mirror will reflect light.
  • 12 years ago
    A buffet and mirror on the end is a good idea.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Get the best quality light bulbs you can. Read about what to look for in this blog post I wrote: http://www.addisoninteriordesigndenver.com/light-bulbs-101-understanding-todays-lighting/.

    Then pick a medium to dark color to paint your walls. It's counterintuitive but, you can not make dark rooms light with light or white paint. The walls will only look dingy. A darker color is the way to go.
    ticklem3silly thanked Ku Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    Addison Design thanks for the info. I was thinking of updating my kitchen with quartz counter top (white with grey specks), new white cabinets and white subway tiles. I was thinking about grey walls though out the whole condo?
  • 12 years ago
    Glass subway tile would reflect more light and better bulbs in your fixtures can make a huge difference too. A mirror is great at reflecting more light too.
  • 12 years ago
    You could add some under counter lighting in addition to all of these ideas. I'll bet just getting brighter bulbs will do wonders for the lighting. It does look dark over the breakfast bar though. Pendant lights would definitely help and look great!
    ticklem3silly thanked holmesamber
  • 12 years ago
    Ditch the "yellow" bulbs and get the "daylight" bulbs. Trust me on this one. You might have to go to a hardware store and not Wallyworld on this, but you'll get the help you need in finding the bulbs. These light bulbs don't cost any more than any of the others. LED bulbs are another way, but they are pricier.
  • 12 years ago
    Well, you already have white cabinets; whether you need new ones is up to you. If the layout is good and your cabinet boxes are OK, you could even just replace the fronts. I think lighter countertops would definitely help. Also maybe a stainless microwave instead of the black one. The black will stick out even more once you replace the countertops.

    And then I think you need some color. Gray is in, but personally I find it drab. It gives kind of a sophisticated vibe, but nothing I would call "bright". To me brighter means brighter colors. Maybe lime green accents? For example, paint the kitchen lime green (it's mostly cabinets so there won't be much) and 1 wall of the dining room the same color. Then put lime and other green accents (pillows, vases or art) throughout the living room. Because it sounds like you really don't need bright (as in light reflecting) as much as you need interesting and lively.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think your plans are good but, use the kitchen as an opportunity to add some color to your condo. Grey throughout will be nice but, a punch somewhere would add interest. Or stick with grey just darken it in the rooms w/out any natural light. Benjamin Moore's Gray #2121-10 is a good one and you could go with the lightest color on the strip for the rest.

    I do not recommend "daylight" light bulbs unless you like blue light. Daylight is a marketing term to get you to buy light that is actually blue. The best light is full spectrum lighting. Spending more $ on high quality bulbs eliminates the long warmup time that the bulb takes to reach its full brightness, which can be really long with cheap bulbs.
  • 12 years ago
    The daylight lights are not blue by any means. I use them exclusively in photography and in beadwork. The "old" bulbs cast a blueish light, yes, but not the new ones.

    Go to Loew's or Home Depot and buy some. You can always return them if they won't work, but I bet they will.
  • 12 years ago
    Let us know what you decide to do. I'd like to know for sure.
  • 12 years ago
    What did you come up with to "fix" your problem. Just curious.
  • 12 years ago
    What did you come up with to "fix" your problem? Just curious.
  • 12 years ago
    What did you come up with to "fix" your problem. Just curious.
  • 11 years ago

    Your new kitchen is fantastic! You really went all out from just thinking of changing the counters. Love your light fixture especially. Happened to find this old thread on a search about full spectrum lighting, what a treat to discover that you posted an "after" photo.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Has pensado en instalar iluminación LED debajo de los muebles de cocina? es una buena solución.