Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leanne_cantrell

Icky Decor; Cool Room

LeAnne Cantrell
9 years ago
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house recently & are going room to room with decorating changes. Next in line is this family room.

It's porch that was enclosed w accordion glass doors. The room has its own heating & cooling unit and can be shut off from the main house. We have kids, dogs, & cats, and we spend lots of time in here.

Since we've had to completely furnish two other rooms so far, Im not interested in big purchases for this laid back lounging area. We need new pillows, to chalk-paint the coffee table & buffet, replace the TV, recover the seats on the game table chairs, etc. small stuff, but important.

Wanna help? Thanks!

Comments (222)

• User
    9 years ago
    Just putting in my "for what it's worth", grover's right on track, again. Think of that blue as the water in your "swamps" and the couches are your landing spot. Love the contrast of the blues and oranges. And your table in the middle is negating a decently large portion of the blues in the rug. Bring some of that blue up onto the couch and you've got a winner.

I love animals from afar but that blue retriever I just might take home with me! hehehe
    OH OH OH...maybe you can find a blue gator pillow....now wouldn't that be something!
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LOL GROVERAXLE!!
    A new take on the infamous Louisiana Blue Dog... Snorted out loud.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think you can put the rug any which way you want and not care about the stripes and what they are next to. What I do know is, that is a dang nice rug in your room with your furnishings. Blue is fun to work with. Some blue on the coffee table and the couch will tie it together. Maybe a blue pillow on one couch and a blue throw on the other. Do you have a blue tray for the table? A vase would shine in the sunshine.....fun!
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Would any of this stuff work? The cats are "helping" today.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    How about that darker blue glass next to the books instead of the darker piece there?
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Darker piece...?
    I wasnt arranging, just sticking whatever has blue or green in it on the table. We have gobs of big books w green in them but thought a thin stack of two w lighter colors wiuld work.

So...book stack + cobalt blue glass sphere, right?
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    LeAnne, with your menagerie of critters and humans, can you do breakable on the table? I can't at my house. Maybe corral them on an easy to move tray?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I think the blue bowl would be more practical with pets and make more of a statement on its own.

Love the item with the bird on top.....can that go somewhere else?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I like that you brought books over to the table since they are already a part of this room. Looked closer and the darker piece is a small pedestal bowl maybe?
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Table is wide enough that dog tails wont knock stuff over. That said, I can ditch everything but the aqua & gold bowl. Thanks, y'all!
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    The humans are less well trained than the one with the tail at my house!
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Added green, blue, orange, & gray shaggy pillow. Old throws in orange & a batik style. Ivory pillow has orange zipper looking trim. Batik looking pillow kinda matches throw on other couch. Cleared crap from table top. Put old, sage, metal container w rust colored dots. Shoved cheesy plastic greenery in. Trying to tie sage into the whole thing.

Any better??
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    On another note, man-room nested coffee table came in. It isnt centered on rug because I left a non-rug walkway in front of those cypress built-ins. Not shown is an ivory throw w long tassles. Little touches of off white seem to brighten this up. I guess??
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Man room table looks amazeballs! I stand corrected on my earlier doubts!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    LeAnne, get rid of that cheesy plastic plant and put your papier machè gator back on top. Everything else looks fine.
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yay on man room feedback & I ditched the plastic!
    Gator kisses from my lil friend on the table. (No tongue. He bites)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Yes to man room!
    Good choice to remove cheesy plant and replace with gator. Did you notice the look of bewilderment on dogs face as he gazed at the plant ?
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Haha! Yes, the dog wondered why it smelled fake! I was genuinely gonna replace w live plants if y'all liked the old planter. Plastic weeds came from old bathroom stuff still in a box. Yuk.
  • jenstnz
    9 years ago
    It's looking so good! (I just went back and reviewed;)... I really liked that first arrangement on your coffee table w/the large book, small vase and lantern (is that a candle holder on top of the book?)... Anyway, the way you arranged it really caught my eye -I thought it looked rich and interesting. (and I also the gator under the table more (kinda peeking out -like you had him before -just waiting to bite some toes:)
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    And I really liked the table on Saturday afternoon when we were supposed to be looking at the rug stripe direction.
  • jenstnz
    9 years ago
    ...that's just downright "mean" in my books.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    What is mean? Did I say something wrong?
  • jenstnz
    9 years ago
    I don't own an iphone (I don't get updates on a regular basis -just have an old standard desktop comp.) So I had to go back and review what's been on going on. I didn't know about the rug, etc.... And then when I just posted and you IMMEDIATELY came back with your comment that "we were Supposed to be looking at the rug".... And this isn't the First time you've made a "wise crack" about my comments (it's the 3rd). You know what you mean.
  • kcooz07
    9 years ago
    jen, I think you may have misunderstood. abbyjean was referring to when Leanne didn't like the rug at first and she was going to try it with the stripes going in different directions. Nothing to do with your comment. abbyjean is one of the sweetest people on this site.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I just thought we were sharing different table tops that Leanne has done and you chose one you liked and I chose one I liked. She has struggled to get it right and I mentioned looking at the rug, because I looked at the rug, but also at the table top decor. She has such interesting things.

I am really trying to think of three times that I have been rude to you. All on this thread? Or others? So sorry. I have had that done and I know it can hurt. I will be more careful with what and how I say things.
  • jenstnz
    9 years ago
    Thank-you. And I'll be much more careful about how I comment and not interrupt w/what's currently going on:)
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a pic my neighbor took from across the street. About 8 of them had already gone into the trees before she could get her phone out to take a pic.

All of you are DEARS to have helped me so much!!! I still need to recover the old kitchen chairs we use at the game table & figure out what to place on it (less is more), but think Im nearly done!!!

Do I start a new thread for some outdoor stuff, ie the back balcony that this room accordions open to?
  • atlbeachbum
    9 years ago
    Your improvements look great. I would suggest painting the ceiling a very light robins egg blue - it's a very traditional southern style to paint the ceilings of a porch in the very light blue color.
  • susanmarguerite
    9 years ago
    What a great house. I might change the rug, get a larger media table for the TV. I noticed the chest behind the sofa. I think you need something shorter, longer, and little less heavy. Something with glass. The same for the coffee table. I think it would lighten up the heaviness of the room and coordinate well with those great glass doors. Lucky you. What a place!
  • susanmarguerite
    9 years ago
    Something like this. Wood with glass inside. You could also the colors of the rug through it. Your coffee table is a little small too.
  • susanmarguerite
    9 years ago
    Also, a plant or two would be great. I think it would help soften the room and coordinate with that great view. Whatever you got would love that room and flourish with all that light.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Sometimes comments get crossed on Houzz and the discussions can get confusing. Most people have good intentions. I sometimes have to ask commenters to fully explain what they mean and I have had people ask me to explain further. I find that usually clears up any confusion.

Abbyjean is very sweet and thoughtful.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    You have nano doors!! I love them.

A new discussion for your outdoor area might be a good idea.
  • kcooz07
    9 years ago
    Just be sure to let us know here so we can find it!
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So, I bought two strands of string lights to go over that courtyard that the sunroom overlooks. Painters are coming tomorrow to hang (I need tall ladders).

How low do I swag these things?? Tried to use trigonometry to calculate lengths (gak!) and then strung up some twine.

A. Can you even see the three twines in these pics?
    B. Are they hanging too high/low?

I can cut them down. & measure them to make the light strand thing easier. Also, should I worry about the light bulbs whacking the railings?? Go tighter??

Thank you!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I can see two of the twines, but it's hard to tell how they'll look from here, or even how high they are. I assume they're not low enough to run into. I think you may have to string them, turn them on at night, and then see what you think.

BTW, if you can string twines, why can't you string the lights?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    The good news is that you don't have to have a certain configuration. I would make sure, though, you have at least 3 swags. I wouldn't hang them too high----you lose the effect.

So, for example, on the stairs at the left, I would start at the bottom of the rail on the top landing.
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    What a charming and delightful room. What is not working for you? Looks pretty warm and cozy to me. Is it color, furniture placement, traffic flow, function? Can you be more specific as to what is not working for you?
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Marilyn, thanks! Youve likely looked at my "after" photos w the newly painted coffee table & buffet, the new TV console, the head sconce bookends, and new rug. Its now good to go!

As for the lights, you have to set the strands in place first. Then when they're secure, screw in the bulbs (which is going to take high ladders for some of these). I cannot dangle the cords w bulbs already in place w out risking breakage.

CDR...i cannot figure where to go w the line to/from that landing. These pics are bad (sorry) but Im going from kid balcony to center of main one to the Romeo/Juliet balcony back to the kids'. Its a triangle.

The kids' one is higher, so that adds some difference. I have two 48' strands. & think I may have an overage of length to play with. Eek.
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My hand is on spot where i have teo coming in.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Overage will be okay, just don't put the bulbs in and no one will notice. Trying to get the Bayou before you plunge into the Pirates of the Caribbean ride "look"?
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lol, YES, Fissy!!!
    Okay, the overage will be on the kiddie balcony, therefore in plain sight during the day. I may have to do that, though...where the two cords mate is ugly and lengthy (no comment), so that had to be anchored in one secret spot.

I ended up with a teepee trapezoid shape. Meh. Need to alter...
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Sorry, but I am just roaring right now and it honestly feels good......reading your last post and talking about where the cords MATE and how it is ugly and lengthy. Too funny! Thank you! Darn spell check anyway, but sometimes it gives us that chuckle.
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    hahahaha
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    LeAnn.....it is sort of like Christmas lights.....you really have to play with them because the length doesn't always work out..
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    It's like a few other things where the length just does not work out right!
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Fissfiss!!!!! Lol

I may go back to the triangle & just deal w the dangling extra somehow. They looked neat tonight, but darn if i didnt forget to shoot a pic!

Boys are now just sleeping & I dont want lights to wake them. May sneak one later...
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I need to ditch the X.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Agreed. Any way to use the windows (ones shown with shutters to hook a line to.