Software
Houzz Logo Print
lenaze

The wall shelf

12 years ago
Where can I get the wall shelf from?
Modern home with pool · More Info

Comments (8)

  • 12 years ago
    Looks great. How did you affix it to the wall?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Simpson #9 ( x 2 1/2'') structural screws, they are small but really strong.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks - using just the anchoring device that comes with the shelf? Or, did you supplement with something else?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I usually don't use the kit they provide, I have had better luck with Simpson fasteners.
  • 11 years ago

    super cool shelf!! do you remember the name?? could you please share?? i have been searching for it and can't find it.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Check out the Orrberg at Ikea. I believe the shelf was named something else when I used it, but this seems to be similar.

  • 11 years ago

    It appears to be the a modified Kallax 1x4 tower unit, without the three middle shelves. It appears the headers/footers were also cut in half to create uniformity in thickness both in the sides and the center posts, as well as to slim down the unit considerably for a more improved profile. The old slimmer shelves were probably used as backing to square up this new cabinet, offer support for the frame, and hide the wall mounting brackets. I would guess that in order to hide the cuts, the new raw edges were placed between the longer boards while their finished edges were trimmed off and reused to edgeband the now exposed particle board ends of the long boards. And finally a pair of short wide heavy duty angle brackets underneath would complete the installation and make it attached well enough to the wall to support someone who thoughtlessly tried to sit on it. It's quite an efficient and clean, minimalist styled Ikea hack. A lot of extra work to transform it, but very nicely done.