Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

House Rules to Live By...

12 years ago
Every house has it's own set of rules, what are yours?

Cromwell Road · More Info

Comments (33)

  • 12 years ago
    no fragrance of any kind, smoke only on the lanai. and don't let the cat out!
    Emily Hurley thanked bgfuqua
  • 12 years ago
    Put things back where they go in the same or a better condition than when it was used, no yelling unless it's an emergency (kids), and treat everyone and everything with respect.
    Emily Hurley thanked nansdrew
  • 12 years ago
    After you eat something, put your dish in the sink and run water over it.
    Replace toilet paper roll if you use the last piece.
    Emily Hurley thanked Marlo
  • 12 years ago
    That reminds me, we need some rules around here!
    Emily Hurley thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    If you shower, turn on the bathroom fan and dry down the shower afterwards. Remove shoes as you enter the house.
    Emily Hurley thanked kpappal
  • 12 years ago
    Remove your shoes at the door. Clean up after yourself (that one is rarely carried out to more than the bare minimum).
    Emily Hurley thanked Sigrid
  • 12 years ago
    relax....Mum (me) will surely do it...
    Emily Hurley thanked melwishes
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Bed and Breakfast - make your own
    Emily Hurley thanked ASVInteriors
  • 12 years ago
    Emily, how do you think of these poll questions?, lol.

    Have fun, but don't be destructive. We have six grand kids, and they are free to go anywhere they want in the house (was not like that when we were raising our kids), now, it's different, our values have changed.
    Emily Hurley thanked tw123456
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    So far I don't have that many since I live alone. First, if I have guests who use tobacco then no smoking or dipping in the house and I'll probably extend that to the e-cigs if need be. Second, only needed when the nephews visit - any hitting, punching, wrestling, or other violence is not acceptable at any time and teasing, or otherwise annoying your brother is strongly discouraged. We're not talking your basic brotherly wrestling matches here, these two have issues and on at least one occasion the hitting has caused a KO that wound up in the hospital. Hate to think what they'll be like in their teens with the anger issues...luckily I only saw them about twice a year.
    Emily Hurley thanked Jessica Mack
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, Jessica, nephew had to go to the hospital, that is awful! how old are they? Is everything broken in their house?
    Emily Hurley thanked tw123456
  • 12 years ago
    Emily, I love your house! lol
    Emily Hurley thanked tw123456
  • 12 years ago
    My cats make the rules. I am at their beck and call. Seriously.. no rules. I have not found it necessary to make them.
    Emily Hurley thanked condomary
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    They were 12 and 8 the last time I saw them. Since the divorce I doubt I'll see them again. They were my ex's sister's kids. If they wanted to visit they'd be welcome, I'd never blame them for the way my ex behaved. I doubt his family would permit it.
    Emily Hurley thanked Jessica Mack
  • 12 years ago
    It's just my dog and me, so rules are sort of lax to nonexistent. I have to remember to feed him. He has to stay outdoors after swimming until he's mostly dry, but that rule is suspended in the event of a thunderstorm.
    Emily Hurley thanked makaloco
  • 12 years ago
    Beds must be made everyday and changed weekly......needless to say, I have to do it myself
    :-/
  • 12 years ago
    No shoes in the house. Take care of your dishes after your eat. Love each other, serve each other, work together, and have a heart full of gratitude.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    No Cats
  • 12 years ago
    Must have cats.
  • 12 years ago
    Unless you have been hiking on a muddy trail, do not take off your shoes!
  • 12 years ago
    If you use something, put it where it belongs after you're finished with it. Don't forget replace toilet paper or paper towels. Dear grandchildren, are you listening ? My # 1 rule is - please don't get on social media when visiting, ok to take a quick call, otherwise, please turn the cell phone off.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm pretty particular about our home being clean and in order. But I draw the line at taking shoes off unless they are dirty or sandy. My husband worked hard for 40 years which entailed a lot of travel. The last thing I want is to make him feel as if he's coming home to a museum. A home can be neat and clean and still be welcoming.
  • 12 years ago
    We had a neighbor who had white living furniture, white shag carpeting, if you wanted to go to her house, you had to remove your shoes, and not sit on the living room furniture. SMH ;0(.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I have a dog...and she is so good...but, don't bring your animals to my house...otherwise let's have fun!
  • 12 years ago
    No rules. If people are obnoxious or offensive they aren't invited back. If they show up uninvited, it better be a short visit.
  • 12 years ago
    Just a comment re: asking people to remove shoes when entering a home. When I was young I could go barefoot all day long and not suffer. Now that I am a retired older woman, my feet need cushioning from the time I get out of bed to the time I go to bed. I live in Florida where tiled floors are everywhere and I would be in pain if I didn't wear shoes indoors. Thankfully I do not know anyone who would ask me to remove my shoes in their home down here.
  • 12 years ago
    My husband has only one rule...CALL FIRST...
  • 12 years ago
    Rule number 1. Please don't leak oil in the driveway 2. Don't hurt the home theatre speakers, they are irreplaceable. 3.Mi casa es su casa, seriously enjoy our home and relax.
  • 12 years ago
    Seems like the word "guest" implies they are welcome to be who they are in my home.. The word also implies they are "invited" so for at least one visit tolerance is my motto...after that it's up to me to invite or not invite...
  • 12 years ago
    One rule: make yourself at home. The vacuum's in the hall.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hmmm...rules around the house(Hey! Who left the lights on?! If you aren't in the room, turn them off!) We don't have, like , a handbook(Alright! Why is there water on the bathroom floor and toothpaste smeared all over the counter top?!!) or anything.(Hey! Either come in or go out, but close the door!) Maybe no snacks after bedtime?(Daddy, I want to have a snack).
  • 11 years ago
    House shoes that never go outside are a good option with regard to the no shoes rule.