Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6746302

Help me choose? Curtain for door?

11 years ago
I love my door in my kitchen because it makes the kitchen so bright and it fits with the modern farmhouse style of the house. With that said, as much as I love it, I can't stand the lack of privacy it gives. I'm attaching some pictures for help. I would like to go with something more modern farmhouse, country or something that would go with the folk art in the kitchen. I'm attaching an idea I saw of the curtain next to the door. What are people's opinions?

Also if I go with it how high above the door frame do I hang the rod?

Comments (21)

  • 11 years ago
    you know, I really like the double French doors off my bedroom. I too, did not like the lack of privacy and opted to frost the glass. I used a spray frost but a film is also available.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I have a full glass back door. We purchased a glass enclosed blind made for glass doors. The blind is encased between the door and the glass of the framed blind. Ours came from Home Depot. They come in various sizes. I have attached a link. I love mine and I am getting ready to buy one for the front door. The best of both worlds, light when you want it and privacy when needed. Plus the blind is protected from big and little hands and in the case of my full glass, protected from little doggy noses and paws. Good luck.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/ODL-White-Cordless-Add-On-Enclosed-Aluminum-Blinds-with-1-2-in-Slats-for-22-in-Wide-x-36-in-Length-Door-Windows-ADDON2236E/203607535?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203607535-_-N
  • 11 years ago
    I currently have the frosted sticky paper on my front door glass but I don't like it. Does get privacy but also cuts the light and I like light during the day. It can be a challenge to apply and does have to be reapplied. The 1st application lasted about 3 yrs but my 2nd application a few weeks ago was harder and even though it is a white frosted, half of it adhered differently than the other have so at night you can see the two different tones of smoky white. This is why I will be replacing the privacy film with the enclosed blind that I suggested in my last post.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not looking to change my door, and I don't think the frosted glass will be something that will work in our kitchen. What are people's opinions on the curtain?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Good
  • 11 years ago
    I think it looks odd and impractical. A Roman shade in a beautiful fabric would be my choice.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    A roman shade in a pretty fabric and print would be the perfect solution for your door.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 11 years ago
    It would seem from a purely practical point of view, that you could not close the curtain until everyone is "in for the night." I do like the idea of the roman shade as well. Your choice of fabric would be what will make it modern, or country, or even modern country! :)
  • 11 years ago
    Try the curtain. Buy a new curtain rod for $15, use a sheet you already have. If it doesn't work, you are out only $15.
  • 11 years ago
    No to drapes on doors. If you want a curtain, hang a cafe curtain on the door (will try to find pic) tied w a ribbon in the middle, or the aforementioned roman shade.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love your idea of the rod and curtain - very different and a good farmhouse casual feel. I would recommend adding crown molding and place the bar right at the bottom of the crown molding. I love being unique and thinking outside the box. - Nice job!!!!!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    One more thing, have the crown molding be a warm wood hue like the photo you attached with the curtain, that would add a lot of charm and interest into the space.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi---I think it's a unique idea and wouldn't worry too much about it inferring with the in/out traffic, just so long as the curtain is pulled toward the hinged side. Have fun and Good Luck!
  • 11 years ago
    don't do it!
  • 11 years ago
    Why won't the frosted glass work in your kitchen? If you want to still see out leave the top row of panes clear and frost only the bottom two rows for privacy.
  • 11 years ago
    What about something like this curtain? I've seen these used with the rod shown and the curtain is stationary. If not happy with a sheer, you could make your own.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Metal door? buy magnetic rods...I like gingham!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes, the curtain idea is fine, just be sure to extend your rod far enough into the corner so your door will be able to open easily when your curtain is pulled back.
  • 11 years ago
    You can buy at places such as Home Depot, sheets that have patterns that go on the window. Not all are patterned actually, some are just frosted type and they are see-through but not from the other side. The problem with curtains or shades is that they will hide your nice door. So think that over.
  • 11 years ago
    If you go the curtain route make sure you can pull the curtain back far enough to clear the door entirely. That picture shows it can't be done with how they have it set up. If they did, the curtains would be on top of the bottom stairs. But honestly, the curtain seems very cumbersome. I would prefer a roman shade.