Software
Houzz Logo Print
wesenye

living room

11 years ago
I want to add some side tables and I don't know how to rearrange my furniture I hate my living room please help

Comments (24)

  • 11 years ago
    Are the 2 sofas the same size? If so and there's enough clearance to get by, why don't you thinking about putting them facing each other. Find larger sized cushions in colours that pick up the rug. Change the coffee table to go the other way
  • 11 years ago
    Where and why would you add more tables?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Try centering the couch under the art, which you will then lower to about 6 inches over the back of the couch. Move the corner table out for now to make room to center the couch so that wall looks balanced. I am hoping this will also mean the couch in front of the window can move to the opposite side of the room and face the window, but still make an L with the other couch. Put the table back between the two pieces now and add the lamp to the top of that taller table. The table to the left of the couch just seems too short to be functional. The floor lamp can maybe stay where it is. Center the coffee table with the wall couch, 18 inches away from it.
  • 11 years ago
    Choose a color from your rug to play with as accent colors with throws and pillows and candles. Make the art tie in with the color you choose.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the colors in your rug... :)
  • 11 years ago
    I have coffee table envy. I think your choices are beautiful, just not the arrangement, as you say. Personally, I would not like to run into the back of a sofa when I came down your stairs.
    Face the sofas toward each other. one can jut into the room from or near the window. It will be great to be able to soak up the sun there. Even nicer would be if you could center the entire conversation group on the window. Be sure you put as much of the legs as possible on the rug, especially the front ones.
    Picture should be hung at your seated eye level for any you see while resting. If you have some that you walk by on the distant wall, they should be at standing eye level.
    Preferably, put narrow end table, the height of your sofa arm, between your sofas and the wall and add a compatible lamp in size and heft to the second table.. Then you will have a handy place for books, remotes, drink or snack. I also it will give the sofa some breathing space and feel less crowded when you sit there than if you were shoved up against the wall.
    Please keep that gorgeous rug - far better than a large expanse of mud colored flooring and far more comfy on your feet too. Plus any print is considered texture and your rug has plenty of design.
    If you are in a hot climate, you may want blue pillows to match. If you live farther north, you may want the red and maybe some of the browns with them. Either will give you a nice warm feel.
    I would replace the black and white accents with the red/brown or blue choices. I love it too, but it is not good with the rest of the room. That or do everything in black and white. The modern candelabra is jarringly out of place too. Maybe a beautiful tray to hold remotes, books and a single battery candle. I have had three fires and friends have had them too. We have all been extremely careful and had them anyway. One even reignited itself in the night!
  • 11 years ago
    At All Moderm.com. Now they have great modern tables SALES, with colors like white/yellow, red/white, glass/glass, steenless steel/natural wood, chrome/white wood;
    Multifunctional.
  • 11 years ago
    Can you float furn in room? The rug is too dark. Go a black and white chevron pattern, bigger 8x10 would work does not go under furn. Float rug so frames furn. Add fun fur pillows mix up color and shapes. Get a new round 24" coffee table easier to work with . Go a reclaimed wood look same with end tables. Don't match get big base lamps, with white shades. Find something unique. IKEA has fun things. More pic of room would help.
  • 11 years ago
    Pic on wall to high, 7" from top of furn. And it's too dark and small for area. Go a sea scrape pic. In a light frame. Big 40" your room has a beachy feel to it. Go with that shabby chic look.
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry!!!!! I know is a table bar, but at the corner with natural Flores, few books, candle, etc , may works!!!
  • 11 years ago
    What about pictures of the rest of your living room, please. It looks like everything is all in one corner but hard to tell without seeing the rest of the area.
  • 11 years ago
    Probably, move a sofa from the window at front of the other and replace that empty space with the table ( maybe you like the table bar idea), the square table in my picture,have similar colors.
    The bio-fireplace table is totally different and is ready to relax or elegant moment.
  • 11 years ago
    Weseenye, more table????? Less table!!!!! Remove the litlle ones.......
  • 11 years ago
    I agree about centering the sofa on the wall under the picture by moving it to the right as you look at it…and lowering the artwork, and possible choosing a different piece of art…with the shabby chic look you could even hang an old window there on the wall or a mirror framed with reclaimed wood or driftwood - so many choices! I also tend to agree that the black and white accents you have chosen seem to conflict with the rug, and that going bare floor or a different rug may be a better route. I can't tell if that's a torchiere in the right corner because it is so tall - add a nice big palm tree or other greenery next to it so it has something to bring it back down to the scale of the rest of the furniture in the room. I think the height of the various elements in the room need to carry your eye up and then back down, without jumping or leaping drastically in either direction to get to the next element. I really like the photos Karen Dumont posted - would be right up your alley I would think. I would start by removing all of the side tables and rug and just shoving those sofas around until I got the arrangement that worked. Maybe they would work on a diagonal…facing each other…L as suggested with one sofa centered on the back wall and the other at right angles but across from where it is now… and it really would help if you had more photos or a sketch of the room. Hope you like some of the excellent suggestions people have offered. If you make changes, please post "after" photos!
  • 11 years ago
    I think you have to decide the style you want to go for ,and choose if keep the sofas or the carpet . If you keep the sofas , choose a carpet in light colours . Take everything out except the sofas and moove them arround until you get it right. After that, start adding coffee table,paintings, lamps,etc.
  • 11 years ago
    i agree with most of the comments here - centre the sofa, drop the art, have the sofas facing one another. if you do need more tables for drinks and so forth i would suggest getting a nest of tables that can be tucked together but used when you have company.
  • 11 years ago
    Can you do a quick floor plan with dimensions? Just go around the room and take all measurements and then do an over all dimension. Take dimensions of the sofas and coffee table also. It's hard to tell how the room is situated in your home. I would love to help and it's so nice and bright.
  • 11 years ago
    Walls need to be darker shade (keep woodwork white); center the sofa on back wall; remove big side table in right corner and replace with smaller, shorter table; move sofa on right to either face back sofa or place to the left of it; remove all pillows except for black and white ones (can add a couple of very small ones in same color scheme or in white); find a smaller coffee table in better scale, or better yet, replace with nesting tables; replace art with larger and brighter, a seascape or bold abstract; change rug for a bolder, organic pattern in black and white or neutrals.
  • 11 years ago
    Center couch under art, move end table spots of the couch sides. That will help.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I must confess that I did not read all the comments in full. For what it is worth, here is my take:

    ...The problem here is proportion and color. If you intend to keep your rug, your accessories need to coordinate with the rug.
    ...Get rid of the black and white striped items. Go shopping with a reasonable budget and have fun purchasing throws & pillows pulling from the colors in your rug.
    ...To balance the room, get two lamps for your current end tables that are in proportion to the rest of the room (big). They should be statement pieces in color and size They should not be wimpy!
    ...The same should go for artwork.
    ...Designer Hint!: Hang your artwork down close to the couches. They need to work together as one unit.
    ...You need some kind of window treatments. I would suggest simple valances or rattan shades. Your windows need color and texture.

    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
  • 11 years ago
    I love the rug and would keep it. I do think separating the couches would open it up. Also, I would remove everything else from the space and introduce one thing at a time to see how you feel about each piece and if they are necessary. Although I love the black and white throws, I think something less graphic and more related to a color in the rug would be helpful. I know you can do it and will love your space when you are finished.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Along with Marta's comment, take all your accessories out of the room and put them on a table or counter. Another idea is to gather things from around the house that might work in the space. This way it will almost feel like you are at a store shopping!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi wesenye! I think you have nice space and the light is good. Why do you hate your living room and what design do you like?

    For me I think the problem is the upholstery of your couch and the color scheme. Is that why you hate it? It looks a bit disheveled. First write down why you hate it and research on the style you like, then decide what furniture to add or delete.

    The rug could be upgraded too =) you can upgrade your entire living room slowly but surely.