Software
Houzz Logo Print
ravi_benjamin

What colors are considered Current for this upcoming year ?

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
I'm wanting to paint the interior of my house but am wondering what designers consider the colors of the moment? Any body any ideas please?

Comments (15)

  • 14 years ago
    I'm not a designer, but gray seems to be a very popular trend for interiors as well as exteriors. You'll notice everything from gray tinted off-whites to dark charcoal.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Gray does remain a popular choice among home owners and designers. There are organizations that forecast color trends in fashion, paint, and home decor. As a designer, I look towards the trends in fabrics for the home; upholstery, window treatments, etc. These are the things that will coordinate with the wall color and make the space have a cohesive feel. What good is using trendy colors if they don't go with your existing furnishings?!?
    Many designers have a signature style reflected in their color choices. Some work in saturated jewel tones while others do sedate monochromatic palettes. Of course, they can still be on trend by selecting a hue that has the right value and tone that fits into their aesthetic.
    Besides furnishings, I always take into account the room's dimensions, ceiling height and natural light. You may love a particular color, but that doesn't always means it's the right one for your space. So, I take trends into consideration but go with what works and also reflects the homeowner's tastes and preferences.
    Pantone has named Tangerine Tango their color for 2012. I have incorporated it in my palettes; there are many great fabrics that work with it. Personally, I continue to use gray a lot especially silvery blue and green-grays. I also have been leaning towards rich creams that have significant yellow.
  • 14 years ago
    From what I understand, the color cycle begins with fashion, drives by the automotive industry and finally settles into interiors. The 2012 fashion color trends continue to be the neutrals: oatmeals, greys, browns, tans. My personal opinion is that we're going to see a return to "white" in the not too distant future.
  • 14 years ago
    That's really interesting Manon...
  • 14 years ago
    Orange! Not sure if I would want orange walls, but I love orange silk drapes!
  • 14 years ago
    Ackk! Thanks, Jamieson. Haven't seen you in a while - nice to have you back!
  • 14 years ago
    Somehow I could not see Ford dictating the latest in fashion trend... :)....well maybe Tom Ford....
  • 14 years ago
    A color that has been flaunted around fashion for the last year or so was teal. Searched Houzz and found some beautiful inspiration rooms using this color. Teal seems to work well with neutrals and compliments any style of decor. Could be used as a focal or as an accent in a room. Hope that gives you some food for thought! Thanks Manon, it's great to be back!
    Costal Dining Room · More Info

    Sitting Room · More Info

    Bathrooms · More Info

    Peacock blue dining room · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The official color of 2012 is Tangerine Tango, we saw that in fashion then interiors. I'm liking those teals Jamieson. I think almost everything looks good with gray.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    There's a wonderful book put out by Bloomingdale's around mid 1970's, authored by Barbara D/Arcy. The name of the book is Bloomingdales Book of Interior Decorating. It's way out of print but if you can find a copy it would be well worth your while. D'Arcy brought orange to interiors. She began in 1953 and wrote her book in 1976 or thereabouts. She was the fashion leader and was responsible for all the rooms for display at Bloomingdales in New York. If you find the book and leaf through you will see where we are going. Next stop is reintegrating orange into more high fashion rooms with white, black, grays, purples( from lavender through aubergine) and even deeper down toward dark brown. There were highlights of gold and silver. There were spots of teal, pink, and golden yellows. Sofas lost their skirts and the 1950's went from old traditional into stark contemporary into softer contemporary to space age and then into the sumptuous, mysterious interiors. She booked over two decades in her work. I watch with interest as I see a thread of continuity in where we went then and where we are going now. We are actually doing a shift of decades and also reinventing the original looks she put together. Manon is correct about the theory of runway to interiors. If you look at recent Paris shows, you will very easily see the shift. It's always very exciting because when you understand the past you can predict the future with some accuracy. You always have the old and admired readmitted to the realm of design and it comes with a different spin. It's all so fun!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    What colors won't be THE colors next year? Given the popularity of brightly colored jeans and nail polishes currently? Perhaps the tough economy has people needing happy colors! I cannot think of a color that does not look good with grey so I don't think you can go wrong. i also love a room with coral....or orange reds. It sparks conversation and feels happy, never somber. If you go with the grey family consider adding strong colors for draperies, furniture or, at a minimum accents such as lampshades, pillow, a large ottoman/coffee table. Chartreuse is another color I am using currently; also periwinkle. I am doing quite a few lacquered rooms...walls and ceilings, like little jewel boxes. Don't forget your ceilings...they are the the largest wall in the room and a white ceiling is just so boring. Here are some rooms that I think inspire. Think outside the box; if you just hate it, it is only paint and can oh so easily be changed! Go for it! .....and please post your after shots!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You fashion forward thing you!! Lacquered rooms are definitely on the horizon again. Love the pictures as they really speak to so much about what's coming.
  • 14 years ago
    I saw a room done with medium gray walls and these incredible full bodied orange silk drapes from floor to ceiling - I'll never forget that room!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Thank you, Karen!