Software
Houzz Logo Print
vegetr

Furniture Placement

11 years ago
I need ideas on how to place my furniture. There is a tv above fireplace. What type of coffee table and side table should I get? Behind the sofa I am putting a metal glass kitchen table set. The room is open to the kitchen.

Comments (45)

  • 11 years ago
    Here is another angle.
  • 11 years ago
    I might purchase a decorative table and place it on the wall with all the plugs. Place the tv over / on the table and put the couch across from the table. Your mantle would look pretty with decorative items.
  • 11 years ago
    Placement seems good but I'd pull it all back from the FP just a tad. You need a larger rug. Should extend at least 15" past the sofa on each side and slip under the first 1/3 of it . I see you appear to have two dining areas. The one with a table and chairs could serve as a family game table, while the area where you have no table could be the formal eating area. I would hang a larger chandelier there as well. When budget allows I'd eliminate the tab top sheers in favor of substantial drapes, and don't forget art. If you don't have toddlers, a glass and metal coffee table would add a bit of sparkle and bling.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think Shannon is dead right. Then I would take the black chair to the other side, right angles to couch and facing the window -- fairly close to the couch, and move the other chair, with its longer-looking, more unusual lines to more or less the position where the black chair now is. It should be at an angle, with enough space between it and the couch for free passage to the door and kitchen eating area. The couch and two chairs don't work together 100 percent, but I wouldn't suggest changing anything until after you have the area feeling good from the layout point of view.I think you're going to need a bigger rug.You mention a metal glass kitchen table set. A table like this might help to tie the two areas together, while maintaining the greater formality of the lounge area.
    BDI Hokkaido Small Coffee Table, Espresso · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Oh dear, Houzz is killing my paragraphs again. Apologies for the difficulty in reading the above, Vegetabile.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I agree about moving the tv. Now I just have to convince my husband. The photo's are not showing the correct colors. The leather recliner is gray and the other side chair is gray and cream. I'm going to try to tie them together better with pillows. As far as the drapes, I am custom making stationary side panels. Photo below. Budget is definitely an issue at this point. Any other low cost ideas for drapes would be appreciated. My kitchen table is Johnston Casual Luna and the chairs are going to be Helena.
  • 11 years ago
    Here are more photos. It is open concept.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    What is it with men? They never want to paint wood and they always want the TV over the fireplace. Let's see if we can convince him otherwise. I will return with some ammunition.
  • 11 years ago
    Your drapes look fine to me. I agree with needing a larger area rug. I do not mind the TV above the fireplace , however you need to place sofa at same angle but further away. Otherwise you will have a neck ache. Add a large colorful abstract art piece on the wall just past the entry to enjoy from the dining table. Purchase inexpensive small pillows with more color, some to go w/ painting. Please do not buy a glass coffee table. Get some storage cubes for coffee table & for additional seating when needed. Place a small mirror collection on the wall opposite the painting. Different shapes & sizes. Add two or three small prints to add within the collection. Perhaps the smaller rug will fit under the table & chairs, but you must have enough room to pull the chairs out when dining.
    vegetr thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago
    Bring the chairs closer to the sofa at right angles leaving enough room for very small side tables with lamps. Or you can use one large arc floor lamp for all sitting space.
  • 11 years ago
    I pulled the seating back a bit to accommodate the TV on the wall. It's at a much better height for viewing, the big wall is no longer blank, and the fireplace is the focal point it deserves to be. I would probably put a long and very narrow console underneath. I would definitely get a larger rug.
    vegetr thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    I'm with groveraxle, but I'd also stop trying to "pull together" the current neutral shades and instead find a place or two to inject a little color, via art, lamps, rug, pillows, or other accents.
  • 11 years ago
    I love Groveraxle's eye!
  • 11 years ago
    I think the drapes are not tab drapes, they are grommet. Much better & easier to use.
  • 11 years ago
    I love Groveraxle's idea. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to do that. That stinks about the rug because I just bought it 2 months ago. I am at the store shopping for pillows. Any ideas.
  • 11 years ago
    Where can I buy that art work.
  • 11 years ago
    Ikea has some meshy shears for 3.99 a pair. If they are bunched up a whole lot they look great. They are in white & are 98" long. If needed for shorter windows, just cut them off, no hemming necessary.
  • 11 years ago
    I think you have a beautiful place. Ive been working on my place for 2 years and the best advice I can give you is to take your time. Wait and purchase what you love. it takes time to find all the right pieces. You have great neutral pieces. Pick a color and use it in 3's. For reasonable priced items, you cant beat home goods. Sometimes its easy to start with art because you can easily pick your colors out of the piece for your pillows,etc..
    vegetr thanked shannon Traver
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you. What do you mean when you say use it In three's?
  • 11 years ago
    My husband agreed to move the tv to the bigger wall.
  • 11 years ago
    Awesome! Because I agree with a lot of the above comments. I think you should move the TV and anchor it with a narrow console table or similar piece underneath I also think you should put at least one of the chairs (maybe both) at a 90 degree angle with the sofa, instead of both being angled away. And pulling everything back from the fireplace/TV a bit will help open the space.

    I love the idea of adding some color- what colors do you typically like?
    vegetr thanked ellenincali
  • 11 years ago
    vegetabile, the art is by Justin Garcia. I chose it because it was so neutral and seemed to go well with your aesthetic. You can find it here: http://www.gallerydirect.com/search?tags[]=Architecture&orientation[]=vertical&q=justin+garcia&viewmode=grid&order=&feature=

    But browse the site a bit and see if you find something you like better.

    And YAY for hubby agreeing to move the TV!
    vegetr thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    And using colors in threes means use three of the same accent color in a rough triangle in the room. E.g. orange pillow on the sofa, orange flowers on an end table, painting with orange in it over the mantel. It's a good rule that will help make the space cohesive.
    vegetr thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    nice though it's square /// rectangular ....
    Journal - November 19, 2007 /February 3, 2008 Original By Gianfranco Paolozzi · More Info
    Trilakes Canvas Artworks, Set of 3 · More Info
    vegetr thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    I can't decide between yellow/gold, red or some sort of blue as an accent color. Any recommendations? I like the photo on the fireplace that groveraxle. Do you think that would be a gold accent color?
  • 11 years ago
    Another possible factor is your new dining set - what tone of glass? at all greenish? Do you have any art or plates or things you like that you might want to hang there?
  • 11 years ago
    Yes, the glass has a slight greenish tint.
  • 11 years ago
    Three variations on color:
  • 11 years ago
    I think i'm leaning more towards yellow/gold. If you look close at the fabric on the chair it has some gold stitching. Thanks. You have great ideas. Any ideas on fabric for stationary sode panels?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Why panels at all? I am sick today, and so can browse...I'm not a seamstress but I thought dummy panels could be stiffer...
    Yellow, Green and Flax Painted Floral Fabric · More Info
    Gray and Yellow Giant Ikat Linen Fabric · More Info
    Yellow Solid Preshrunk Cotton Duck Upholstery Fabric By The Yard · More Info
    Green Blue And Yellow Abstract Contemporary Upholstery Grade Fabric By The Yard · More Info
    vegetr thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Humor me - I like being a part, even if I have to delete these cause they're all wrong!
    Brown & Yellow Modern Floral Fabric · More Info
    Grey and Gold Contemporary Ovals Upholstery Fabric By The Yard · More Info
    vegetr thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    These are great. Here are some I seen at Joanne fabric
  • 11 years ago
    These fabrics would be for pillows.
  • 11 years ago
    A round or square coffee table 24" or bigger. Go a bold color print for rug. Your room lacks color. Add a accent color panels to ends of windows for interest.
    vegetr thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    Small garden stools for ends of sofa in a color. TJMax sells. Keep tables Unuque and round.
    vegetr thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    I think moving TV to wall next to firepl. on a low media, Walmart, U IKEA sell. Would give you move furn arrangements.
    vegetr thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    Then place two chairs together in front of widows with round table between. If on budget Craig's list is good. Place a big base in gray or silver, lamp on it. TJMax. Like your panels. Nice gray.
  • 11 years ago
    I don't like sheers on windows. Remove for a open airy look. Just use panels you have on ends. A big art over firepl. IKEA has a great black and white sky line. Big.
    vegetr thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    On pillows go different patterns, size and colors stay in gray tones. Rug is also too small. Try in another room. You need 8x10. Doesn't need to go under furn.
    vegetr thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    vegetabile, the three fabrics you posted above are great together. Nice mix of colors and patterns. I'd make one pillow from each of those, then a couple of plain ones, perhaps one black, one gold. A black candlestick for the mantel, a painting with a black frame, a gold bowl or vase somewhere, and you're done.
    vegetr thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Great thanks. Any suggestions on fabrics for the stationary side panels on windows that would coordinate with these fabrics?
  • 11 years ago
    Before you purchase any fabric, bring home the free swatch. Looks like it might clash with your chair fabric. If you know the name of the fabric on your chair, I would cheat and look on houzz to see what the designers paired it with.
    vegetr thanked shannon Traver
  • 11 years ago
    I called the company and they didn't know what fabric it was. She said it might be from their imported line and she wouldn't be able to find the name. I have the samples at home. I think they complement each other. I'll be able to tell better in the daylight.
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH