Software
Houzz Logo Print
alyssaandryan

Does the decor work?

11 years ago
Hi trying to decorate my kitchen. Please give advice.

Comments (22)

  • 11 years ago
    Sure, it works, as long as it doesn't get in your way. I wouldn't centre it; pull it about 8 inches toward the bottom left hand corner of the island
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You need some color.... I agree with the bowl of fruit , maybe some decorative canisters on the counter, even a placemat on the island, and please try to find a cover for the exposed exhaust pipe above the hood - it looks totally unfinished - like a piece is missing....
    Good luck and have fun!
  • 11 years ago
    Yes we are ordering this.
  • 11 years ago
    I can't move it to far to the edge of counter due to my two year old.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    My eye automatically goes to the chandelier and barstools. If it is in the budget, I would update those. Both the chandelier and chairs feel too heavy for your beautiful kitchen. Sorry about being so honest. I love your backsplash, so beautiful!
    alyssaandryan thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Too yellow and brown...but each item is beautiful
    Can you paint the walls something richer, or just white?
    alyssaandryan thanked mermaide
  • 11 years ago
    Lose the decor pieces on the island--they give a grandma look to your kitchen. Replace the medallion on the ceiling over the chandelier with something much simpler. Keep the chandelier and the bar stools. Cover the duct over your exhaust fan with stainless steel somehow or replace exhaust fan with a stainless steel one that fills the space between the cabinets and does not expose the duct work. Then, you are set in my opinion.
    alyssaandryan thanked Lee Weber
  • 11 years ago
    Working on replacing the lighting and bar stools.
  • 11 years ago
    How can I get colour?
  • 11 years ago
    If you could, I would do some work suggested by leeweber even if it does not bring colors. I am thinking especially about hiding the duct work over the exhaust fan. If you want to bring some colors, I would re-upholster the stools with a fabric with colors and place a bowl of fruits as suggested before. It could be nice also if you could add a backsplash accent above the stove to break all the beige.
    alyssaandryan thanked suzanne_m
  • 11 years ago
    I'd say keep your backsplash. Add color with a le cruiset Dutch oven on the stove, a colorful teapot, a pitcher to hold spoons, whisks, etc, a bowl with lemons or oranges, a colorful appliance. Remember, you only get back 50-70% of what you spend (if that) when you sell. Keep, your kitchen neutral so it will stand the test of time. Color should come from things that are not attached to the kitchen unless it's paint.
    alyssaandryan thanked Lee Weber
  • 11 years ago
    What kind of backsplash do you have? I like it.
  • 11 years ago
    It's stone.
  • 11 years ago
    I am hiring a designer I just return everything I purchase. Making bad decisions and ready to tear my hair out.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    alyssaa- if you are hiring a designer, why are you on Houzz? Polling people's opinions on Houzz worldwide will just make your hair fall out much faster!!!!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Decorating is merely a matter of taste. Sit down, make a list of things you like. What colors make you feel good, what textures do you like. Look at Houzz photo's and put them in your ideabook and show your designer. This should be fun and exciting.;)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Add a tray or a cutting board, piece of wood, then a short round white ceramic vase, go outside and snip a big branch, add a white bowl of lemons or oranges and a stack of small plates
  • 11 years ago
    That area looks like it gets used frequently. I'd add a tray of some type with other things you might use frequently. i.e. stack of pretty napkins, salt & pepper shaker, bowl of fruit, pretty tea pot, creamer & sugar, cute notepad and pen. Maybe include a small vase of flowers. A live plant. (just to mention a few things) Try stuff you already have that can be functional as well as provide interest. Perhaps have 2 placemats in front of the chairs with a napkin, all ready to go if someone gets hungry.

    You can lift the tray quickly to put someplace else if you need the entire area or just move it off to the side when someone is eating or working at the counter.

    Or, leave it empty and try to add more colorful splashes of color to the other counters and inside the cabinets that have glass doors.

    Your kitchen is gorgeous and very relaxing just the way it is.
    alyssaandryan thanked n247080
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you I like my kitchen but hate the granite. This is the biggest problem for me. It's solo busy.
  • 11 years ago
    So
  • 11 years ago
    I have tried to do It on my own and cannot so hiring a designer.