Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjohnson5605

Snakes

cjohnson5605
9 years ago
We have snakes real bad where we live & I'm scared if I do gardening like this it will get worse. What do you suggest?
Lytle Road - Bainbridge Island · More Info

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Bliss Garden Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Hmmm, we don't have any poisonous snakes in Western WA, so its not something that I need to design around. I'd consult your local garden center or a local designer for tips on designing with your local wildlife in mind.
    cjohnson5605 thanked Bliss Garden Design, LLC
  • D Arzo
    9 years ago
    CJ, I can certainly relate to your concern. I keep it plain only because of the great fear of snakes. I will try sulfur....per another reader.
  • sdonaghue
    8 years ago
    Excellent point. I have a phobia of snakes. It doesn't matter if they are poisonous or not, or even fake! I freeze up, get paralyzed, and can't breathe! So as beautiful as this garden is I could never live with it. I must be able to see the ground underneath my plantings!
  • Audrey Yun
    8 years ago
    Plant plants that deter snakes & the rodents they feed on. Rosemary, lavender, peppermint(Can be invasive)sage.
  • S H
    8 years ago
    Consult a pest control company. The last time I talked with one about a snake problem they said, "get rid of the mice and the snakes will go away." Interesting.
  • emagin
    8 years ago

The snakes get rid of the mice, so they are beneficial. Free natural pest control.

Only poisonous snakes need to be away from human habitation.

• D D
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's funny, but you WILL eventually get used to seeing snakes over time. They are equally afraid of you. You are probably more likely to be bitten by a spider.

• Meg Hauss Aguilar
    7 years ago

D D, That is not true. I grew up in SE Alabama and it's the reason I stay in Western WA and only go home to visit. I hated growing up where I always had to watch where I put my feet. And if you have a true phobia of snakes you do NOT ever get used to seeing snakes whether poisonous or not.

• D D
    7 years ago

True phobias are a whole different thing. sfitz1000 makes a good point, take away their food source.