michael1846

pointsettia bonsai

michael1846

I bonsai my Christmas pointsettia. (Spelling?) Has any else done this?

• mateopava

I do not, but that sounds interesting.

• michael1846

It's interesting but you cannot wire it because the stems will snap. That means you have to be great at pruning

• joeturbo26

I was actually considering doing this! I have an awesome looking poinsettia that I found at Home Depot for 2 dollars this year with the most amazing color and branching. I was going to cut it back in a few weeks and start the transformation. Now I'll document it! Here is a photo of the color.

{{gwi:2848}}

• michael1846

cut the red leaves off it will grow faster also a branch grows from where a leaf falls out.they get woody so it will look good :)

• joeturbo26

That was exactly what I was going to do, I want to give it another week or so first... it looks too cool to just chop right now!

• michael1846

The leaves chop them off or just cut the entire thing down 4 or 6 inches. The flower tops (where the yellow part is) will fall off eventually if you decide to just cut some leaves. Don't worry about the bleeding it will be ok.i would post an update on mine but they are having little noticeable growth atm.

• michael1846

OH! I forgot this is right after I chopped their heads off

• michael1846

Would you like yo see the all ready started bonsai????

• michael1846

Here it is its growing in after another cut back.

• garyfla_gw

Hi
    I have the "blessing ,curse of being able to grow them outdoors where they grow into monsters lol. I never keep up with the pruning,feeding over the year so result is far below what is possible . Can't think of a more ideal plant for Bonsai . Good luck with it gary.

• michael1846

Thank you it's a great plant I hate when people toss them my church has so many to give away I don't know what I'm going to do with all of them

• joeturbo26

Michael that looks awesome! I love how woody you've managed to get the stem! I just cut mine back! Here's a few pics.

{{gwi:2851}}

{{gwi:2851}}

• michael1846

joe there is 2 in that pot you might want to seperate them.

• ninecrow

So Guys Any Updates On How They Are Doing?

Thanks