Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Cuttings from my coleus, s.p. vine, etc.

18 years ago

This is new to me.

I took cuttings of my annuals to overwinter, have them in water, roots are growing...now what?

Coleus, s.p. vine...still want to try begonias but not sure how to do that..the same way?

I've read about soil-less mixtures...haven't seen anything labeled soil-less mixture in the gardening stores (and I've been looking).

What "mixture" do I transplant these to now that they have roots?

I have the grow lights for when they are transplanted...for now they are sitting in water in south facing window.

Comments (5)

  • 18 years ago

    I will plant my *rooted in water* coleus cuttings in potting soil with extra perlite mixed in. If the roots are longer than an inch, I will trim back with scissors.

    With the sweet spud vine, I would give it a dip in tepid water with dish soap added, swirl a bit, then do again in a couple of days. Take a magnifying glass to look for eggs or bugs under the leaves or in the axils, I found that that plant got buggy for me (eww) and it's easier to wash off when it's not planted in soil than when it is. Never had to be concerned about this with the coleus though.

    Also, my sweet potato vine (spv) grew a really large tuber, which I tried to overwinter like a spud, but our basement was too warm for it, and it shrivelled up to nothing by March. Have you considered trying to store the tuber? Then in the spring you can probably get it to grow several sprouts, which you can pinch off and root and have several plants from.

    What kind of begonias are you trying to root?

    Have fun ('cause it is such fun!)

  • 18 years ago

    Iwas rooting coleus in water till a friend told me to just
    put it in the pot of soil and it would root. well it did,
    besure to pull off bottom leaves and plant below the top
    ones. I have a sp growing in pot with lots of vine and
    some one on here said to save the tuber and cut it in
    sections with eyes on each, and plant next year. I will try
    that. I have several coleus in a large pot, growing great,
    from cuttings. Happy gardening, caroline
    {{gwi:22728}}From garden flowers 3

  • 18 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Kioni, a little late in responding...I have wax begonias - I think 'semperfloren' ...some with green and some with bronze foliage, likewise with white and red flowers. There were no identifying tags with my purchase. Do you keep these under a plant light over the winter? How many hours of grow light?

    Caroline, don't you prune the flowers off your coleus? I was told if you let it go to flower, the plant will die off. I actually had a stem hidden in the middle of one of my planters...it went to flower...I missed pruning that one...and that whole stem is black now and dying back. The rest of the stems are fine.

    I think I will try both the tuber and the root option to see what works best.

  • 18 years ago

    Hello Kim, I think I have read that too, these are just
    some I am seeing what they will do. I have so much of the
    coleus that I can experment with :)) The pot they are in
    did have peppers in it. So just playing with these.Thanks.
    My large plant that I took starts off of has lots of blooms
    and have for several weeks, so will watch and see.The
    pic above is in a large pot with spv. Happy gardening.
    caroline

  • 18 years ago

    Hi Caroline,

    I had a hanging basket with blackie sweet potato vine that I tried transplanting yesterday with my kale...everything in the coco basket was root bound...I cut into the tuber of the sp vine inadvertently. Doesn't look good today, but I keep watering...hopefully it will last a little longer.

    I've already taken a few cuttings anyway to root in water. I'll save the tubers as well. My chartreuse s.p. vine also has a tuber sticking out of the top of the pot...that one root bound as well, I'll try to tackle that one tomorrow.