Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

yikes!!!!!!

lindaruzicka
15 years ago

well, there I was just moving my rocks and sweating, when I noticed something moved. I poked it with my tool and it decided to hiss back....it was a black and gray baby snake with a temper about 8 inches long. I caught it and put it in a container and moved it further on down into the woods....anyone have any idea what kind of snake that was? Maybe a timber rattler? "thinking perhaps I should wear shoes for a bit while I'm gardening"

Comments (21)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

YIKES! is right. Doesn't that kind of spoil the moment, of really getting into your work as now you will be a but fearful and cautious?...or at least I certainly would be. I hate it when I come across Mr Toad buried in some loosely tilled soil. Yep...I'm thinking more and more that gloves are a good thing, especially when working with rock, or particularly tall weeds that are out of control.

Sue

• chrizty
    15 years ago

yikes! be careful with them snakes, PA has 3 poisionous snakes, theres a good bit of copperheads around my area.
    check out this link n see if you see your snake

Here is a link that might be useful: pa snakes

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

yikes is right!!! I can stand a lot of different creepy crawlies, but snakes??? no way. When I see one in the garden, it isn't too long before the shovel separates mind from body, and both are on the garbage heap!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay, I found out it was a baby rat snake, which is cool. I don't mind snakes and lizards, it's wolf spiders I don't like.."shuddering". Anyways, I found this PA website about snakes and sent my question in. They sent back pictures of 4 different snakes and the little bugger was the first one!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

me too!! snakes are one thing, its the spiders i can't deal with!! i hate thm!! for one, when the wolf spider bites, it hurts then itches forever!! then if the other bites ya your in big trouble!! if ya even feel it!! LOL sooooo ya spiders are a thing i do hate!! at least when snakes are there they let ya know!! LOL YIKES linda!! LOL

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

http://pawild.net/home/gallery.php?photo_id=11&p=view_photo
    this is what he looked like if you're interested, in case anyone else runs into one.

15 years ago

ewwww...don't like his looks....

Hey Linda...if you copy and paste the link into the Optional Link URL box, and then give it a name, it will be clickable...like below.

Sue...just being the usual resident busy body...sorry....

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda's snake...or like it anyway

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks Sue! I never can figure out how to do that!.."L"

15 years ago

I never can figure out how to do that!.
    You're welcome, and certainly not alone. Here is an FYI too...if you are the original poster, and starting a new thread, you will not see the Optional Link URL box until after you have first typed your message and then hit preview. Then you will see them (the boxes), so you fill them in then, hit preview again, and finally submit.

Stop on over at the Test Forum and try it out. We regulars hang out there and have fun.

We can teach you how to make clickable links within your message too...and bold, italics, color red and others, and other cool but simple things with just a few HTML commands. If I can do it, anyone can.

Sue

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

geez Sue, I didn't even know they had a test forum..."feeling sorta stupid"..."G"

15 years ago

I didn't even know they had a test forum.
    Again...a lot of folks aren't aware of it as they 'try' and posts pics, as they are learning. The Test Forum has a gallery side also. though most folks don't get that far when testing...but that is fine.

I'll bet you haven't even scratched the surface of what all there is here.

Garden Web Forums
    That Home Site-Home Forums
    The Nature Net Forums
    Garden Galleries
    Home Galleries
    Hortiplex
    and there's lots more...all found via the drop down links in the green banner at the top of every page.

Happy surfin! There is even a Reptile and Amphibian Forum...though not as active as here though.

Sheesh...do I sound like an infomercial or what?

Sue...headin out for the day.

• wayne_mo
    15 years ago

Linda,

Good service to link a pic! Juvenile Black Rat Snakes are tricky ones for most folks to figure out because their gray and black pattern does not resemble the adult's black pattern.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wayne,
    I was glad to see it was only a rat snake. You're right, the baby pics look nothing like the adult pics!

• chrizty
    15 years ago

ill take all your black snakes if you take the black bear that been running around my area the past week lol ive been staying indoors alot.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

uuhhhhhh....no...that's okay...."backing away vverrryyyy carefully"....

• chrizty
    15 years ago

lol wont be long till they start comming to your area!
    its been spoted bout a mile n a half up the road from me. last year it was a couple miles, i dont wanna know what how close next year will bring lol

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay Chrizty..just where in PA are you anyways?..."getting ready to check bear location map"

• chrizty
    15 years ago

LOL oops got you confused with someone else, i was thinking you lived in pittsburgh! lol
    im in sw pa

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I live about 45 minutes east of pittsburgh in the suburbs..by some woods.."still checking for bears".."G"

• chrizty
    15 years ago

im about a hour sw from pittsburgh, lol i think your good for now.

if your near uniontown mountains [se] of pittsburgh theres a good bit of black bears there.

Here is a link that might be useful: bear alert in papper

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll keep the snake..."L"

Sponsored