Software
Houzz Logo Print
smirick

exterior challenge

14 years ago
The interior of this house is awesome! The exterior continues to be a scab on an otherwise beautiful property. Any ideas about how I could balance this out without adding a second story?

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    A couple of gables on the front would help immensely, especially on that shed rood & skylight at the left and at the entry. A gabled dormer over the window at the far right might help balance it.

    I'd also recommend getting rid of the shutters that obviously don't work. They call even more attention to the lack of harmony in the window size & placement.

    A horizontal band extending from the gutter line through the two story section at the left would give you an opportunity for a material change, perhaps to a darker shingle on the upper floor.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    here are a few more so you have a lot of choices.....you can go from side to side without leaving any of the shed past the level of the opposite side so the visual of the shed is totally gone.....and I recommend going that route...:)
  • 14 years ago
    One way to update the homes appearance would be to replace the window on the upper floor with French doors and a porch. Extend the porch over the entire front of the house. Add railings along the entire porch length even if you choose not to have a deck over the main part of the house. A striped awning over the new French doors would add interest. I also would remove the shutters.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi smirick, most contemporary style can accommodate asymmetric design such as your situation. This could be achieved without major structural changes.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    A cupola would a cost effective way to break up that roof line...
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you all for your input. I've compiled your suggestions and come up with something that might just work. I like the idea of embracing the asymmetrical structure and heading down a more contemporary road. Why fight it, right? In this image I've raised a flat roofed dormer that currently exists off the back of the house ( not visible in photo) to be in line with the shed roof addition. I've also extended the gutter line across the addition and extended a portion of it to create a covered deck. My thought is that a cluster of roof lines might help counter balance the long expanse of the rest of the house? I'm not a builder or architect so I'm not sure how doable a dormer like this is ( or if its even called a dormer) but perhaps you all could help me out with that :) I like the idea of a material change for the addition, vertical siding maybe ( not sure how to do that on my computer) I've aligned the addition windows and trashed those awful shutters too!
    Thoughts about this new design?
    Thank you all again for your ideas!