Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unbiddenn

Mosaic stepping stones

unbiddenn
10 years ago

These were last winters project. I am at a loss what to do this year.

Comments (39)

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Poppy

This post was edited by unbiddenn on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 22:01

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blackbird in the crabapple tree

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Birds in my garden

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leftover glass

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sailboat at sunset

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finished

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deer

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

String

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue butterfly

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Daylily

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robin on her nest

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Canoe

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moonlit sail

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hummingbird

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tulips

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roses

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue jay

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Freeform

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Squirrel in leaves

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luna moth

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Daisy and bugs

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toad

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lake view

This last one is the only one that is not a diamond set centered within a square. It was the first made, and set incorrectly into the concrete.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

These are lovely! What a great hobby - and talent! How long have you been making these?

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These were my first ever and a real learning experience.
    Thank you.

• nansea
    10 years ago

Your stones are beautiful. Did you use a pattern to make them?

• chola
    9 years ago

Really beautiful stepping stones. Great talent! Thank you very much for sharing. I wish I had a little bit of your talent. Thank you again.

• Inkygirl
    9 years ago

Wow, these stepping stones are beautiful!

• dirtbug
    9 years ago

wow they are truly beautiful stepping stones!!!

• loribee2
    9 years ago

How lovely! Such creative designs. Can I ask, do you cut your stained glass by hand, or do you have a glass saw?

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for the compliments. I did not have a pattern, infact I barely knew what I was doing for each stone until i looked at my buckets of glass and saw what colors i had left. Running out meant trips into town and new colors, new flowers, birds. By the end i used scraps, for the deer in the forest, the silhouettes, ship and the stringy freeform, rather than buy more glass. I think the last turned out the best, the ship, very limited in colors, but really pretty.
    I didnt use patterns, but just pictures for reference. The daisy stone with the bugs, i had several garden catalogs open, many torn pictures of bugs. I just adapted what i saw, how the stem bent, the shape of the leaf, how the unevenness of the petal that conveys angle to the viewer. I cut with a simple wheeled hand cutter just like a pen. And nothing was exact, just as it fit my eyes view. i cant make a straight cut to save my soul.
    I cut and layed the glass directly onto contact paper that I had precut to fit 15x15 inch forms my husband made from a broken melamine shelf. All of the glass was cut and pieced and stacked ready to go before the concrete work started.
    lay the contact paper glass up, inside the form, and pour over it, flipping it like an upsidown cake when it hardens. Unmold it and peel off the contact paper. Its like Christmas, almost unbelievable we did this ourselves. We pour four at a time, they are 2.5" thick, (i think) but half way thru is a piece of strong wire mesh, to strengthen the stepstone.
    Glass work wasnt difficult, Concrete work was backbreaking. My husband said never again.

• luckcindy78
    9 years ago

Really very beautiful

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

You are good!
    See if you can talk your hubby in to doing it again. I'd hate to see all that talent go to waste.
    I too, like the ship. I also like the Daisies and bugs. The petals are shorter in the back giving the flowers a 3D appearance. Nice job!
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pictures

• smlightfoot123
    9 years ago

Going into business with my best girlfriend and need a name. We will be selling our garden art creations on Etsy,the e-commerce site that follows in the tradition of open craft fairs (Etsy is a cross between Amazon and ebay).

We create one-of-a-kind mosaic designs for the garden such as. mosaic garden art, stepping-stones, gazing balls, birdhouses, and also mosaic home décor or wall art.

Some words that describe our designs are mosaic, garden art, wall art, whimsical, re-purposed, handmade, natural, unusual, unique, large, colorful, fun, bright, bold, earth tones, garden tones, cool tranquil tones, timeless, rustic,

We create 12-13â mosaic garden art using glass gems, pique assiette (broken dish tile), iridescent glass tiles, ceramic tile, stained glass, vintage jewelry and other fun bits.

We are looking for a whimsical name similar to âÂÂGarden DelightâÂÂ, but different.

We are passionate about our creations and already have several offers to purchase our work and alas, NO NAME!!
    lol

Got any great ideas for us?!!

Thanks

Michelle

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Michelle, start your own thread. It's bad form to add on to someone else's.
    Mike

• sherylgallant
    9 years ago

Beautiful! "Freeform" is my favourite! Good luck with the business!

• snbracker
    8 years ago

These are more than beautiful. They are very unique and have a very special quality to them. They are definitely from the heart. Thank you

• sixtoomanycats84
    8 years ago

Unbidden, if you are still around, I am curious: Have you ever tried using WHITE concrete for brighter color results?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor