Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbledsaw

Odd idea?

tbledsaw
12 years ago

I'm always taking flowers out to the cemetery. I was thinking of creating a small glass totem that would be small enough to fit in the granite flower vase and put a solar light in it. Does that sound weird, or do you think it would look ok?

Comments (10)

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

It might walk.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Yup, shining in the dark like that, someone will probably think they need it more...a small totem would be nice but I wouldn't do the solar light part...JMHO. Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

That would be sweet. Hopefully no one would steal it. I know it was disappear around here in a heartbeat.

• chickiebabeblue
    12 years ago

Give it a try. I wouldn't put a lot of $ into it in case it walks away. Our local cemetary has quite a few solar lights. The first time I noticed them I felt a little "eerie". Now I think they are beautiful and peaceful.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Sounds good. Lots of solar lights in my area also. I actually work for a cemetery (part-time) The folks around here like the eternal candle and holder at the grave site. Those REALLY have a tendency to walk off as they are approx. $100.00!!!! Anyone have any ideas as to how one of those could be crafted?

• doodys
    12 years ago

I've made two totems for my mother/fathers grave and my sisters...think its a neat idea.Where I come from I see lots of solar lights in cemeteries.

• tbledsaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure it will be ok here? The cemetery is very peaceful. It's out in the country, surrounded by corn/bean field and a cow pasture. Plus our gravesite is all the way at the back of the cemetery. There are a lot of solar lights in the cemetery already as well. Plus I will probably just use a small solar light.
    I already have some glass pieces I could use. I'm just formulating it all in my head now lol.
    I really want something more adorable than glass-beautiful, if that makes sense? The grave is for children, so I want something appropriate to them. Likely will take me awhile to figure this one out, because it needs to be "perfect".
    Thanks for your input, guys. I appreciate you!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I've never seen solar lights in the cemetery, tho I love the idea. Thanks for the warning tho cuz I bet if and when i do see them I'd be startled. I wonder if folks don't do it here, or if I haven't been to a cemetery at night lately.
    Its so bizarre to me that people steal from the cemetery.

I love the idea of an adorable totem. Be sure to post a pic.
    Kathy

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I like the idea!!

But speaking of stealing, this year 2 or 3 cemetaries around here lost almost all of the bronze vases. About 85 at one cemetary, and more at a larger one. I can't believe that the smelter people would accept them (And they melted them down the first time). I don't know how, but they did catch the people who stole them the second time they did it. They should have done something to the smelter people too!!!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful plan, tblesaw. In my area, I've never heard of solar lights...but I know alot of potted plants disappear...too bad that someone thinks they need them more...your cemetery sounds very peaceful. So, good luck, with your endeavors! (a gift of light). Jeanne S.