Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marleneann_gw

Living Picture

marleneann
11 years ago

How I made my Living Picture.

I started this project about a year ago. I had an old picture frame that my husband Fred made a two to three inch deep box and attached it to the frame.

This was then filled with sphagnum moss and coir-peat. A plastic grid was then placed over the filling to hold it in place. Cacti and succulents were inserted in spaces in the plastic net to form a picture then watered very well.

I then let the picture lay on the flat part of the box for three months until the plants rooted and attached themselves to the fill mix. I now place the framed box on the easel to display it. I spray it with water when necessary.

Comments (11)

• trashydj
    11 years ago

oh that is so cool how big is the frame?

• marleneann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The frame is about 24inch x 30inch

• jlily
    11 years ago

I've never seen this idea before!! It is beautiful! What an inspirational project! TYFS Jlily

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

WOW! Great idea.
    Tami

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

I just saw one a couple weeks ago on a local garden walk & thought it was so lovely! Love your succulents! TFS! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful living garden art!!Love it! Jan

• sorie6 zone 6b
    11 years ago

WOW beautiful. Easy care too. tfs

• greensuzq2
    11 years ago

WOW I love it. I knew I was collecting picture frames for things other than pictures. I even have the succulents, including the star fish cactus I got on ebay years ago. Can't wait to make one or more of these.

Thanks for the great idea.

Suzq

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

This is so cool looking! Love the way you put an "arrangement" of succulents at the bottom to give the whole picture some visual weight.

Very nice!

• posieh
    11 years ago

Really fantastic! Do you hang it or just "rest" it somewhere?

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

Marleneann, Your living picture is awesome. I love it. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES