Software
Houzz Logo Print
akeane77

My old kitchen

14 years ago
Hi! My house has these old oak cabinets and even though I would love to paint them white, I am afraid the house would lose value my be doing that, what do you think? Is there anyway I can bring this kitchen back to 2012 on a small budget? I am thinking of painting the walls, either tile or wall paper backsplash, add hardware, replace the countertop and the appliances would be replaced in time as well. Also, do you think there's enough space to place the microwave over the stove?

I am re-starting my life and someone gave me that table and four chairs which is too big for this space, should I get a small bistro table (it's just me and my 2 year old) and use the dinning room table when guests come over?

What color should I put on the walls? I love the combination of turquoise, red and white, but that means I would have to paint the cabinets white!
Kitchen · More Info

Comments (20)

  • 14 years ago
    Other views of this kitchen
  • 14 years ago
    other views of this kitchen
  • 14 years ago
    I love the first kitchen, especially the anthropolgie turquoise knobs, I think they would look good if I did a similar backsplash as in the ECOblue kitchen along with it. Thank you so much! I like the orange with the turquoise as well, it wouldn't be hard to find le creauset accessories at a Marshals or TJ max here, Love it!
  • 14 years ago
    Great, I love those ideas--sounds like you are a resourceful shopper too. :) Just make sure the pulls/knobs aren't too bulky in size compared to the frame of the cabinet.
  • 14 years ago
    Here's an oak kitchen that that looks sleek and updated with neutral walls, dark countertops and stainless appliances. I would limit turquoise and red to your kitchen accessories. The table seems to be a fine size for the room and I'm not a fan of bistro table height for comfort's sake, but pare down to 2 chairs for a cleaner less cluttered look. Good luck!
    Kitchen · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    For now, on a budget I would do the following:

    1. Get a microwave/fan combo installed over range. We have the same arrangement. Buy the microwave that will match your future appliances. And doing this, will give you much needed space to the left of your sink!

    2. Just adding some hardware to your cabinets will make a huge difference. There are a lot of choices at the home stores. I did that and then hired someone to install it ($80 for the installation, much better than me trying to do it).

    3. Painting: I like your current color. Turquoise would make your cabinets appear oranger.

    4. Since no window over sink, I would go out and buy an art piece. Something with a view to distract me while I wash dishes.

    5. Besides that: Table: take away two of the chairs, add a pot of fresh flowers to the middle of your table, a small round rug underneath. A larger vertical art piece to swap with the calendar.

    Cabinets: add large baskets, accessories to the tops. Add a clock over the doorway and a valance over your window.

    These are things you can do, and enjoy right now, before moving on to more major things!
  • 14 years ago
    Your kitchen is begging for a black and white color scheme because of your white appliances. On a budget I would paint under the cabinets black and white diamonds. Which could be done with tape and black and white paint. If you can afford it black and white tiles would also be great. As previously mentioned, remove the scalloped detail over the sink. Paint the rest of the kitchen white. Add black knobs. Replace your blinds with a bold black and white geometric style drapes. If possible, replace the countertop. If not I think it is possible to paint them, there is a product that has a black background and white specks. However, you will need to add color through your accessories and whatever color you choose try to add that same color to the specks on the counter. If it was my kitchen I would use either tomato red or spring green. Then add rugs and chair pads and other accessories in those same colors. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    1)I would paint the cabinets and off white it would be a great contrast with the beautiful floors you have. Rustoleum makes a great product for do-it-selfers-- for the cabinets. get at Lowes. I used it on my mom's cabinets --Looks great works great!!!
    2)Black countertop
    3) over the sink-- get a framed mirror that looks like a window.. it will reflect the window on the other side and look like you have a window over the sink...:)
    4) new handles for cabinets--try Amazon.com--- weathered nickle great color for this combo... I used in my kitchen makeover.
    5) stainless steel oven and so forth.
    No art over sink----- try the mirror you will love!!!!
    recap.
    off white cab.--black counter top---wheathered nickle handles--stainless appliances.
    mirror over sink ( paned like window)
    Good luck-- great bones --your kitchen
  • 14 years ago
    Kitchen · More Info

    Go black and white and add pops of those colors you love.
    Yes when you can add that microwave you want.
    Exciting- enjoy!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    All great ideas! Black and white is always sharp. But I still vote for art over sink. A black and white photo of a Paris street scene...ahhh!

    Mirrors are great at reflecting wonderful things, but a mirror that "up close and personal"? I am afraid all I would see is a woman who really didn't want to do the dishes.

    And after dark there isn't much to see.

    Guess you can always try out both!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Measure from floor to top of your vent hood. If it is 66" or more, you have room for a microwave/vent. If less than 66" it would be too low to the stove top. Never fear, though. If it is less than 66", take out the cabinet above so you can mount the microvent at the proper height. Then, I'd suggest a white open shelf above microvent with white on the back of the wall up there to show off splashes of color in turquoise and/or red accessories on the shelf. Since leaving the cabinets unpainted, I'd continue with white appliances as you replace them. They show fingerprints more, but they also lighten up a smaller area and especially when the cabinets are darker than you would wish. (But if you go white on the cabients I'd also suggest black or stainless steel appliances) I think the table is a good size, but why not paint the pedestal under the table a turquoise, you could stencil something in the colors you like around the top edge on the tabletop, and paint the backs and legs of the 2 chairs (I agree to get rid of these other 2). Wall color is tough -really depends what you choose for counters and backsplash. Another tip I have might be putting a decorative moulding up at the top edge of your cabinets such as a simple crown moulding. You buy it in 8' lengths at home store and have someone put it up that's handy including handy with a miter saw for the corners. Decorative moulding adds a lot to a kitchen. Accessories on top of cabinets in splashes of colors and white. You may want to check the price of cabinet pulls and knobs before you do any work..they can really add up $...but simple knobs in stock at the home store are budget friendly. Backsplash tile is a killer to budget if you have a low budget and a lo of area to cover. There are so many washable wallpaper patterns and colors to do there...and when you get tired of that it's easier to change again than tile. Would love to see your finished photos! I enjoyed the photos shared above from the others as well. OH! Now that I hit submit, there are a whole lot more suggestions in before mine. Good luck, everyone has great ideas!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for all the input!! i liked the idea of painting the table legs in turquoise, that hadn't even crossed my mind!
  • 14 years ago
    That is a good idea to paint the table/chair legs--I had a white and pine "farmhouse" table in my college apartment and I painted all the white parts soft yellow and left the pine natural and it looked much better.
  • 14 years ago
    Yes, lots of ways to add those colors you love: red flower in turquoise pot, kettle, cushions, towels, rugs...
  • 14 years ago
    Please keep us posted on how your kitchen is coming along... love idea of paining the furniture! Good luck..
  • 12 years ago
    I had to upgrade a kitchen on a small budget. I wish I had a before picture. The old cabinets were faded cherry and Formica butcher block.
    I did have to replace the dw, stove and microwave, so upgraded to Ss for resale value.
    Cabinets were finished with Transformations from Rustoleum and the counters are a granite look laminate. Backsplash is subway tile. Transformations comes in many great colors but is time consuming. They also have a transformations for countertops which may work for you to try out some of your color ideas.
    It really perked up the tired kitchen for short money.
    Also, you can paint appliances rather successfully until your budget allows for upgrades.
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen! Thanks for sharing.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm guessing looking at the photo, that there isn't enough space above the stove for a microwave.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    This is how I updated my kitchen veneered top cabs new knobs still needing backsplash use color in dishes or towels or canisters at least you can change them at a small cost