Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Looking for Pamela Hetherington 'Coronation'

treehugger101
9 years ago

I grew orchids for 7 years the first time, then moved and lost my entire collection. Then, 4 years ago, after searching far and wide to replace some beloved plants, I came down with chronic lyme disease. My son had to care for them and so, I lost them again. Third time is a charm? Does anyone know where I can get Pamela?

Comments (7)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

It was a surprise when I looked the name up and found it was registered in 1970.
    A lovely orchid, used extensively in breeding. There are about 100 registered hybrids where it was used as a parent.
    Sometimes, if you are lucky, someone will still have it and is willing to part with a division.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

arthurm, Yes. It was a Stewart nurseries winner. A friend bought one of the original divisions and once I got unto orchids gave me one. Pamela had the most beautiful clear pink, perfect form (to me) and a fragrance that sweetly filled the whole room. No wonder she is the parent of so many crosses. I have yet to see a cross, AOS winner or not, that looks like her.

• nuts2
    9 years ago

Yes, fabulous cat. to have. I have some in my shadehouse but regret am so far from you plus would need permits and all sorts if i were to send you one. Sure someone nearer can help. Coronation has a little red mark on the lip where straight Pamel Heatherington doesn't have this. Coronation is definately the better one to try and find. Heres a pic to help you so others can see what it looks like. Good luck!

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nuts2 - Oh, no. Now that I am looking at it, I had the original Pamela and not Coronation though at this point I would take either one. Do any of your orchid buddies have a permit or ship? I am getting no response to any orchid board.

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

Try a facebook group called Cattleya Growers. With 3,400 members, someone must have one to sell to you.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tolumniamatt I did email them but they actually do not have that many members. They have 3000 LIKES which is not the same at all. It does not seem that anyone posts except the people who set up the page and they have mainly phals. Thanks for the idea though...

• nuts2
    9 years ago

Treehugger, I did make some enquiries today regards the possibility of shipping to you. You are in USA and I am in South Africa opposite sides of the world. However it seems there are numerous permits required including your side you would need an import permit and other documentation certifying the plant to be 'clean' ie no bugs or fungus or anything that could infect your country. All of this possible I am sure however our customs people and those who issue the documents work for Government and these guys basically only come to work to sign in for the day , then sign out at 4h30 and that way they get paid each month! I couldn't find anyone locally who has exported plants but to get relevant import documents for orchids takes between 4 and 6 months to get if you are prepared to slip some inspiring pieces of paper under the counter ....you know what I mean! So you really need to find someone in USA methinks - much much easier and quicker. I find all this rather sad - I suppose there has to be some control, but is a rather daunting task. Why don't you write to the American Orchid society and ask them to put out a request to all societies on your behalf?