Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideal2545

When to start seedlings for tomatoes, jalepeno's

ideal2545
12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I live in Socal in a warmer area (Santa Clarita), its characterized as a 8b-9b area. I was curious about what month it would be a good time to start seedlings for Tomatoes and Jalapeno plants. I want to make sure I start them on time to get the best yield. (I container garden so I want to get a 'jump' on the season to get a bit more).

Thanks from this newbie!

Jon

Comments (5)

• t-bird
    12 years ago

mine are already started!

dec 21ish....will do some more but these are my container ones for xtra early harvest.....hopefully

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

What is your planned plant out date? Start your tomatoes 6-8 weeks before that and your peppers 8-10 weeks before that.

Dave

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

mine are already started!
    dec 21ish....will do some more but these are my container ones for xtra early harvest.....hopefully

WOW!! That is way early for the Chicago area. It will be months before you can plant them outside. Zone 5 plant out time isn't until the end of May. Middle of May maybe with protection. But transplants that old will be heavily stressed.

Dave

• ideal2545
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone, I would like to put them out in March April before it starts getting into the 100's in May/June/July. I started some seeds this past Saturday so lets see how it goes!

• gunnersm8
    12 years ago

yeah admittedly i probably jumped the gun myself here in virginia...i started tomatoes and peppers on seed warmer in garage yesterday...
    this is my first time starting from seed, so i wanted to get an early start in case i mess it up i still have some time to try again. that and i just got real anxious