Software
Houzz Logo Print
maisner

Halp!

14 years ago
My design dilemma is mult-faceted. 1. My "new" house has a 60's style small bathroom. 2. It's the only bath in the house. 3. Doesn't appear to be anywhere to expand to and it's a tub-lenth wide and maybe 2-2.5 tub lengths long. 4. I only have $5k for a redo. 5. I have mobility issues so a tub is useless to me but I should probably have one for resale. Is it possible to make a step-in shower a step-down and have the bottom 4-5 inches be tub?
I call my style "early old". I like warm, casual, relaxing, patinas, stucco, adobe, wood, antique. Think favorite pair of broken in jeans.: variations in color, soft, worn edges. I hate cookie-cutter, hard edges, monochromatic, sterile. I like Adobe style, Mission, some Mexican, Shaker. I like visual interest but not too much of anything be it bling, ornamentation, color. No modern, no shiny metals (I will include brushed nickle here even though it's not shiny per se.) and no white. This house is in the desert so preferably no rough surfaces to collect dust even though I love some of the stacked stone. I also love glass block and if I could find one in amber that would be gorgeous!
Take a look at the pictures and anyone who cares to make a stab at it, go for it! Don't forget a storage solution!

ma

Comments (15)

  • 14 years ago
    Well, the biggest problem is going to be your budget. A step down shower will mean structural alterations to the floor if it's a raised framed floor structure (i.e. crawl space). If it's a slab, you're talking concrete demo and some pretty nifty concrete work to pour a new shell for the recessed shower/tub........either way there goes your $5K! Then you have to make the plumbing work........maybe easier if you have a crawl space, but if it's concrete slab, that could get pretty extensive even if you can make the fall work in the drain lines.

    You may just have to forgo the tub aspect and stick with just a shower. Even then, without doing all the work yourself, a budget of $5K isn't going to go far and that's assuming your building department will allow you to do all the work.
  • 14 years ago
    Thomas,
    I figured as much. I'll probably end up trying to resurface that cabinet, add a new countertop, yank the ugly medicine cabinet and tub, paint and then tile. I can do everything but tub and tile so maybe can git'r done for the $5-6K. I'm game for an open shower. I have no idea if a glass wall (single sheet) is cheaper than other options. It would help to open it up. If not, I'll have no choice but to leave the tub. I hope it doesn't come to that. LOL Champagne and caviar taste doesn't go well with a beer and weenies pocketbook. ;)
  • 14 years ago
    I had a walk in tub for my mom installed, it has a built in seat and a door that opens and seals on the sides. It fit in a standard tub space. you can also still use the shower. You wouldn't have to have a plumber change anything. Some of these tubs can be a little pricey, so I would shop around. I got hers for about $2500, but I've seen some for less. Its a really nice tub with air jets. I think it would help with your resale.
  • 14 years ago
    We converted our tub to a shower. The sill is about 4 inches high, and my husband often plugs the drain and puts a couple inches of water in the bottom of the shower. He just uses one of those round rubber jar openers. We fortunately had another bathroom to use while the conversion was taking place, since it took a couple of weeks. We did a complete tear out. If we had not had another bathroom, the contractor said he would reinstall the toilet at the end of each day.

    That neat little shelf below your medicine cabinet is a mid-century classic. If you are not keeping it, please offer it for someone else to use in restoring their mid-century bath. Our total cost including all new tile in the entire bathroom, new fixtures, two new sinks and new toilet, was just under 20K.

    If you are looking to do it on 5k, you might look into one of those fiberglass showers rather than tile.
  • 14 years ago
    I can probably get some free help changing out fixtures and lighting. *sigh*
  • 14 years ago
    IF you could get the tile out unscathed, it would have value to someone, yes. But, it will not come out in usable form. They set it in cement or something in those days. I really tried to save some tile when we tore out half a wall. I wanted to finish the edges with the same tile. We couldn't save enough to cover my hand, had to go with a creative blend.
  • 14 years ago
    ikwewe - or mosaic ;)
  • 14 years ago
    I recently consulted someone about the cost of a walk-in shower. His response was encouraging: tile isn't as expensive as you'd think. Go to your local big box store (Home Depot/Lowe's) and tile is a lot less expensive than if you consult a "bathroom expert." If you want designer tile, you're going to pay. Stick with a good basic (and there's a lot of options there), and you can keep the price down.

    Second, shop around among the local construction people. Go to your local bank (a small local bank is best) for names of customers who are construction/tile/plumbers/ electricians. They're always getting short-term loans, and the bank officers will know their reputation for reliability and quality work. (I work in a bank, so I've tapped this resource for reno advice.) Even if they don't give you the name of a tile man, they'll likely give you other names who will know a tile man.

    THe kind of shower you want is very do-able. Don't get discouraged. GOod luck!
  • 14 years ago
    I've done remodels for the past 15 years. My advice for your budget would be to leave all lines and fixtures where they are just upgrade them to new ones. Use Craigslist for contractors have at least 4 come by to give you a free estimate for labor only in writing and check their references pay for the fixtures and materials yourself and look for bargain prices at places like habitat for humanity, Craigslist or discount outlets in your area. Best of luck with your remodel 5k is a tight amount but it can be done.
  • 14 years ago
    With mobility issues, a curbless shower would be great, but more costly. If you are able to step over the low edge of a typical shower, I second the idea of a fiberglass shower as a way to keep costs under control. If I'm lucky, there's an image and a link to a fiberglass shower that would fit in a typical bathtub area. Good luck!

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=shower+enclosures&oq=shower&gs_l=products-cc.1.3.0l10.2566.3421.0.6590.6.4.0.2.2.0.55.215.4.4.0...0.0...1ac.chz3ZrZ8v7M#hl=en&tbs=vw:g&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=fiberglass+shower+stalls&oq=fiberglass+shower&gs_l=serp.1.1.0l4.100479.103069.0.106720.17.8.0.8.8.0.125.560.6j2.8.0...0.0...1c.T3SvfNYGhac&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6bdc450cc0e780e5&biw=1194&bih=935
  • 14 years ago
    Just noticed the window in your shower... That could be a problem with a fiberglass shower stall.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks Inkwitch! I have been scoping out tile online. I tend to be frugal when revamping. I don't see any sense in paying full price when you can have the same type of look much cheaper by just looking around. I've found a porcelain "saltillo" for the floors at .97 sq/ft. It will go in kitchen, dining and bathrooms and if I have the money, I'll extend it to the patio as well. I also found wood-look porcelain for the other floors at $3.97 sq/ft. on sale vs $8.97+. It's the only way I'll be able to afford it. I love wood floors but with several dogs it just doesn't make sense to have real ones. I haven't actually picked tile for the showers but will look for inexpensive when I do. I may splurge a little on glass tiles to run a couple of bands around near the top to add interest. Either that or find some Talavera tiles to scatter randomly on each wall. I did that with my current tub and it gives interest, breaks up the solids and isn't too busy. I can resurface cabinets and add a nice countertop, etc. I'm fairly stubborn and won't give up until I find what I want or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Labor is the main thing I won't have much control over. I'll try to negotiate that by the job vs hourly. A little patience in locating the deals goes a long way. I can't even imagine what it would be like to just pick out what you like and have it done, I've never had that much money. LOL
  • 14 years ago
    Rene,
    I will have to leave everything where it is, not only for cost but also because there's nowhere to go with any of it. lol I am a champion bargain hunter and actually find it fun (I have no life). I'm sure I can come up with some inexpensive but nice fixtures that coordinate. I may see if I can find an antique something or other to drop the sink into. It won't look quite so cookie-cutter that way. I'll have to post pictures once I get it figured out and completed. I don't know precisely what I'm doing now but it will come together as I figure out each component. With the limited space and budget, it won't look designer but it will be functional and look waaaay better than it does.
  • 13 years ago
    maisner, any updates? Did you wind up redoing the bathroom? Please post pictures if you did :)