Software
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

V. dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' and V. nudum 'Brandywine'

19 years ago

I know there are knowledgeable viburnum folks on this forum that can help me out with these two choices. First I'll start with V. nudum 'Brandywine'. I've read here about pollinators for Winterthur. But this one promises to be the best for that. I'd be willing to try it just on that attribute. How new is this cultivar and has anyone else tried it? It doesn't seem to very available in commerce yet.

About V. dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' - the hype seems to be about its ability to fruit without a cross pollinator. Could this be true? I think this one has been around a bit longer than Brandywine so maybe some of you have experience with it.

I'd sure like to see a viburnum specific forum, there seems to be so many species and cultivars, and so much information to share.

Comments (4)

  • 19 years ago

    We used to have two very knowledgeable posters here, but I think they left with so many other knowledgeable people when I Village acquired this site. I learned much from them, but am far from a viburnum expert.

    I don't know the V. nudum cultivar you mention, but I've noticed that a few have started to appear. My pollinator for 'Winterthur' is the straight species. For 'Cardinal Candy', I have a number of other V. dilatum cultivars. Technically, all will self pollinate, but not very well. The correct pollinator will give way more berries.

    When V. 'Blue Muffin' (sorry, my mind is not working this early in the morning and I can't remember the species) first appeared in the trade, even the big box stores were selling it, touting all the blue berries. Not without a pollinator, and pollinators for that species remained very hard to find for several years. They're still pretty hard to find, and you dont' get the berries without the pollinator.

  • 19 years ago

    Brandywine talk -
    Something rarely mentioned in culture requirements for viburnum nudum is it reported dislike of alkaline soils. To what degree of "dislike" I don't know, but I have straight nudum and 'Winterthur' growing in soil I believe to be on the alkaline side of neutral here in SW Ohio - clay soil about 30 inches deep on top of a limestone shelf and in partial shade. Plants seem to be doing OK and fall leaf color is great. Growth could be a tad better, but I'm in no great hurry. I've ordered a Brandywine to add to my collection and to see if I wish to promote it locally in a year or so.

  • 19 years ago

    V. dentatum 'Blue Muffin' is the name of that one, laceyvail. The key to cross pollination is overlapping bloom time, not as much as specific plants (although that makes it more likely).

    In the situation of V. nudum, you might have 'Winterthur', 'Brandywine' and the straight species in the same garden, but if for some reason they don't bloom at the same time, they will not cross pollinate each other.

    In my yard, I have Viburnum dentatum 'Blue Muffin' and Viburnum acerifolium (species) in an area together. For the last two years they have cross pollinated each other because they bloom at the same time. My v. acerifolium never set fruit until I got the 'Blue Muffin'.

    So you can try to get the "right" cross pollinators, but there is no guarantee. Good luck, it's worth trying.

  • 19 years ago

    Linrose,

    'Brandywine' is a plant that's being sold under the Proven Winners brand. It's got good marketing behind it and will most likely be the most common pollinator on the market for 'Winterthur.' It is much more upright growing than 'Winterthur' and not a real match. 'Callaway Small Leaf' is very similar in shape to 'Winterthur' but it's almost impossible to find. From Monrovia Nurseries, 'Earthshades' is another possibility but I think that it'll be hard to find also.

    Good Luck,
    Ernie