Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aker_gw

Fragrant purple roses?

aker
16 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which purple roses have the strongest fragrance and are also disease resistant?

I'm planning on getting 2 this spring for my garden.

Thank you :-)

Aker

Comments (20)

• buford
    16 years ago

Melody Parfumee is a deep purple, very fragrant and extremely disease resistant. It's a floribunda and blooms in candelabras.

It's one of my favorites.

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

Purple Passion, Blue Girl(or blue moon), ebb tide

all very fragrant but PP is the most fragrant of the bunch

Sunni

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

What section of the country are you in?

• ken_se_fl
    16 years ago

Royal Amethyst.

• madsud_2008
    16 years ago

I am trying Ebb Tide this year. Supposed to be extremely disease resistant and hardy in colder climates. There is a long post about EBB TIDE in the antique roses forum - check it out :)

• dmg2242
    16 years ago

Ebb Tide smells great and has not had any BS in my garden. Have had Ebb for three years and love it!

Denise

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

I am in VA near the beach...bs heaven...

• triple_b
    16 years ago

well if you are in a black-spot zone (more moisture in the air) then you won't want Angel Face I guess. (what kind of purple are you thinking anyway? the burgundy kind or the mauve-lavender-lilac kind)

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

My most fragrant dark purple rose is William Shakespeare 2000. Most fragrant lavender roses are Neptune and Perfume Perfection.

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

Excellenz von Shubert

• aker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live near Vancouver so we are susceptible to black spot and mildew.I'm am loooking for a hybrid tea type of rose. I would prefer a darker purple if possible. Fragrance is a must. Not a lot of petals like the cabbage types. :-)

Will check out Melody Parfumee.

Thanks for the warning on Angel face!

Happy gardening

Aker

• User
    16 years ago

{{gwi:220510}}

Need I say more??

• brhgm
    16 years ago

Ebb Tide, Night Owl, Burgundy Iceberg and The Prince ( although mine died from heat stroke).

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

OOH love that pic of Ebb Tide, just planted it this week! I planted Night Owl last year; fragrant light & sweet, not intense. It is a deep fuschia (dark pink, really) in the heat so we never saw any purple until cool weather came and then OBOY! what a color. I love reading about purple roses, thanks for your post-- and where are you??

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Chartreuse de Parme (spelling?)

• eaj09
    16 years ago

I grow a lot of purple roses and I believe most in that color class are fragrant. Melody Parfumee and Neptune are the best ones I have; those are both more disease resistant and prolific than Blue Moon,Blue Girl, and Stainless Steel, but those last three have the beautiful light mauve colors.

• Deborah lippitt
    last year

I've had Ebb Tide in 2 locations now..It blooms continually but it doesn't get very tall. I've lived in mostly large rural places so small roses don't work too well for me. But it is lovely and I do like it inspite of it's size.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Least in scent is Twilight Zone, but it's a constant bloomer in only 4 hrs. of morning sun. Mine is a 6th-year own-root. Pic. taken end of July:

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Lavender Crush (5th year grafted on Dr.Huey) can get over 7 feet tall in my zone 5a, plus the scent is strong lemon. Blooms are more purple with acidic rain: