Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe53_gw

yts 4000 fuel problem?

Joe53
10 years ago

Craftsman YTS4000 2010 model with Briggs 24hp V-twin with twin carbs

Hi fellas......I think I got a fuel issue....

When it sits a while....it wont crank without a bump of starter fluid.....then it fires immediately and cranks without assistance after that.

From that point--engine sounds good but won't take gas without coughing and faltering unless you ease the throttle forward slowly.

If you do this...it runs smooth....ease it up to full revs....most of the time you can even engage the blades.

But shove the throttle forward at a faster pace/or throw the blades in gear at full throttle---and the engine falters and almost dies until you yank the throttle back. A little blue/black smoke when this happens.

I can't decide if it's being shorted on fuel.... main jet is plugged? or if its the governor is involved? or a throttle plate issue?

Basically it ran a few minutes today cutting grass after I brought it up to speed gradually and slowly engaged the blades....and as soon as the engine came under any additional load...it started to die

Could it be too much fuel? The pulse fuel pump is pumping a good flow of gas when I pulled the line to check it.....so I do think adequate fuel is available for the carb.

One thing I noticed is that the throttle plate linkage is very loose and free....it looks to be hooked up right....but it sure is loosey goosey...there's no spring on it at all.....it only moves when the throttle is shoved past the indent position

throttle plate? Dirty carb? governor? vent cap?

Comments (11)

Sponsored