Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Burpee seeds, on rack have more seeds than catalog packets.

littleonefb
14 years ago

OK, so hubby has finished his "thing for the season".

counting the seeds in the Burpee packets I bought at K-mart at 40% off and comparing the count and price to the catalog info.

What can I say? He's an engineer and engineers love playing with numbers.

Now, if I live to be a million I will never understand this. It just doesn't make any sense.

99% of the time, there are more seeds in the packets that you buy off the rack than there are in the packets you buy from the catalog and the price is just about 50% less.

Does that make any sense, does it make any sense to run a business this way?

Granted the selection is far better in the catalog than on the rack, but selling so many of the seeds off the shelves at much lower prices and more seeds in the packets, just doesn't make sense.

So now you wonder what the results where that hubby found.

All seeds are Burpee and purchased at K-mart, where they sell only Burpee seeds now and always sell them at 40% off.

SWEET PEA HIGH SCENT

Catalog $4.75 for 40 seeds.

K-mart Burpee label $2.49 - 40% = $1.49

23 seeds in one packet, 25 seeds in another. total 48 seeds for $2.98

More seeds in 2 packets for $1.77 less than one packet catalog

SUNFLOWER STRAWBERRY BLONDE

Catalog $4.95 for 25 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.99 - 40% = 1.19

22 seeds in one packet, 18 seeds in another. total 40 seeds for $2.38

BURPEE BUSH CHAMPION CUCUMBER

catalog $2.95 for 30 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.99 - 40% = $1.19

29 seeds in 1 packet, 31 in another packet. total 60 seeds for $2.38, double the number of seeds for $.61 less than 1 packet from the catalog

MOONFLOWER VINE

catalog $2.95 for 20 seeds.

K-mart Burpee label $1.99 - 40% - $1.19

20 seeds in one packet, 29 seeds in another packet. almost double the number of seeds for $2.38, $.57 less than the price of 1 packet.

SPINACH BABY LEAF

catolog $4.95 for 300 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $2.49 - 40% = $1.49

357 seeds in packet. $1 less than the catalog and 57 more seeds

BEET DETROID DARK RED

Catalog $2.95 for 350 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.59 - 40% = $.95

465 seeds in package. $2 less than catalog price

RADISH CRIMSON GIANT

Catalog $2.95 for 400 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.79 - 40% = $1.07

585 seeds in package. $1.88 less than catalog and 185 more seeds.

RADDISH CHERRY BELLE

Catalog $2.95 for 400 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.59 - 40% = $.95

585 seeds in packet , for $2 less than catalog and 185 more seeds

BASIL GENOVESE

Catalog $2,95 for 100 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.79 - 40% = $1.07

125 seeds in packet. for $1.88 less than catalog and 25 seeds more

LIME BASIL

catalog $2.95 for 100 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.70 - 40% = $1.09

at least 700 seeds in packet. for $1.87 less than catalog and at least 600 more seeds.

DILL MAMMOTH

catalog $2.95 for 700 seeds

K-mart burpee label $1.79 - 40% = $1.07

842 seeds in packet. $1.88 less than the catalog with 142 more seeds

GARLIC CHIVES

catalog $2.95 for 165 seeds

K-mart Burpee label $1.79 -40% - $1.07

190 seeds in one packet, 196 in another packet. $1.88 less per packet with more seeds in each one.

Just a small example of the difference in numbers and printed price on the Burpee seed packets on the racks vs the catalog price.

Even if you don't have a K-mart around you for the extra 40% savings, the rack price is still cheaper and better price.

Now if only I could understand why Burpee does this.

Fran

Comments (10)

• ontheteam
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is odd..and I am LAMFO...MY hubby would TOTALLY do that..IF I LET him near my seeds... which I do not 'cause then I can not HIDE how many seeds I have... .

• karendee
    14 years ago

I just bought 3 packs of rudbeckia irish eyes at a local Big box store. I could not resist. I wanted to get even more... I hope they have a decent amount of seeds, it felt like they were empty compared to seed trades!

Karen

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I'm not in it to save money; I order online what I want, when I get "that feeling" I've spent enough, I quit for awhile and go without. I don't run around to stores any more than I absolutely must, used to love it. THAT saves money, gas, and curbs impulse buying lol.

Yes, if I'm out and saw some on sale I really wanted, I'd buy them, bought my first starter seeds in a bin at the nursery for 25 cents. They grew and still have some left, still will germinate from 4 years ago I just found out by making myself plant some here recently.

Believe you me for everything else, I watch prices like a hawk and take advantage of sales, coupons and rebates (except at the grocery store) hate it when I get stuck behind somebody with a bunch of coupons.

• quilt_mommy
    14 years ago

Wow - wonder why that is? It sure doesn't make any sense.

Karen, can I ask what store you found your irish eyes at? I'd like to pick those up myself if I can find them. :) I bought one as a plant at Walmart last year but it was not labeled anything but rudbeckia. I also purchased an echinacea "white swan" that was only labeled echinacea last year too. I was elated to find something new (to me) and different so accessible! :)

aliska - I am not sure if I am a saver or I just let myself believe that so I can buy more seeds! This is only the third year I've grown anything from seed and I'm truly addicted.

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

fran: Others have mentioned that in past years. I have never ordered from Burpee because they're just too expensive and I can usually find the seeds cheaper elsewhere. I have bought their seeds off the rack at places like Walmart and Home Depot because they're so much cheaper.

Karen

• pippi21
    14 years ago

Our HD sells Ferry Morse seeds..haven't checked to see if KMart has their seeds on the racks or not, but will today. I've been getting the flower/seed catalogs by mail and I refuse to pay their prices. Can't believe what they are charging for only a few seeds in the pack. I'm making my list up for Swallowtailgardenseeds.com today. 15-18 miles from WM to make a special trip just to see if they have their seeds out yet, but when I am in that area, I will look for them.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I think I'd be more cost conscious if I'd been at it longer and did higher volume. Plus I have so little room for trying all the ones I'd like to. Some I pass up because there are just too few seeds for the price.

What I spend I figure is my entertainment because I don't do much any more, make my own entertainment.

But I can relate to getting a good deal. And if the budget is tight enough like it was in past years with growing family, it would be different. I certainly save seeds of things I like or want to try if I can. Those are free.

I spent a ton more on roses, the ones I didn't root myself, and it hasn't worked out as well as many of the other plants.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Quilt Mommy, it was a burpee rack at Menards. I am not sure if the store is in other places though?

I bought 3 packs maybe I can send you 1? They were only 1.79

Karen

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting this info, Fran. I can't believe your husband counted all those garlic chives seeds!

This is really valuable info for all of us penny-pinching gardeners. For those of us who trade for a lot of things and can get 10+ packs of seed for 88 cents in postage, it's harder to spend a few dollars on a pack of seeds. Especially when, as karendee said, they often feel empty!

So knowing what's the best value really helps. As Aliska mentioned, driving around looking for deals takes up time and gas--which is why it's so wonderful that we have this forum, where you and others do the footwork, share the results, and we can all save. And then we can combine errands and swing by a Kmart when we're in that area.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stage rat. you have to understand the mindset of these engineers, with genius IQ's in math.
    They are perfectionist's to boot. enough that, sometimes, it can drive you crazy.

He'll count just about anything in a seed packet, but even he draws the line when he hit the package of lettuce seeds and opened the inner foil packet and saw way to many seeds for even his patience.

I quietly sat there, grinning to myself and thinking "finally a seed packet that you refuse to play with and count."

Karen, I'm the one that has been posting the numbers in the seed packets in the burpee seeds on the rack. Been doing it for a couple of years now.

K-mart has the seeds in the stores in MA now.

I do miss the Martha Stewart seeds they carried when they had a contract with her.
    She had quite a few seed packets that others didn't have.

Can't seem to find a store that carries them now.

Fran

Sponsored